New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    It's the old "maintain the clunker car or bite the bullet" question.

I would say, as long as the engine is sound, it is probably a better idea to pony up the 50k to repair the car, after all, he's not going to cough up that money in one go. However, if the mechanicals are going (e.g. overheating, sudden engine death.. basically the car can't be relied on to deliver the goods, err.. the butts to their destination) then it may be time to think again.

On the other hand, getting rid of the car for say 50k won't get him very far. Certainly if he coughs up another 70k or so he can get an AE92 Corolla.. which is not a significant upgrade and is probably just as old (ergo, suspect reliability).

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I also have a 89 california, you can still find a good paint job within your area for an ample sum of P25,000.00 with body works na yun. Just look around and canvass. Sa engine, there is nothing so special about it. All it needs is a nice tune up, change oil (which you can do DIY) and overhaul of radiator. That will cost you around P2,500.00. Rust is rust, most of the parts so exposed will be addressed by the repainting job. Sa ilalim, a good DIY undercoating will do. All in all you might be able to reduce your expenses up to P35,000 including shocks etc. The question now is, what is the integrity of your electrical?

89 California is a very good vehicle. It can load so much that it can partially do the work of a pick up and can save you fuel as it can give you up to 10km/l under certain conditions.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I loved our California when we had it. My uncle still has one, and it works fine.

But remember, this is all dependent on the condition of your electrical system, just as jimaroquai says. Basically, if your electricals are still good, no matter how old the car, then everything's fine. But if they're not... then it might not be worth it. Re-wiring a car is very very very expensive.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

yan din ang prob ng maxima namin....100K below...and amount na nnagastos na manin sa sasakyan, is beyond that..but this maxima of our is 75% tip top condition...body is quite bad, and my sterring rack leaks, but napagatsatsagaan muna, mahal pa-rebulid!)

baka nga 80K mahirapan...pero ang maganda ng nandito ito, at least may reliever car kami...

weigh the factors...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    cool! thanks for your replies. i think i have no choice but to keep the california. where can i find surplus body parts for my car?

box-type sentra front, side body parts can be easily avalilable in banawe... ewan kung may makuha kang skirts...dont put a spoiler..it'll spoil its looks... rear hatch,lights/ parts maybe a bit harder to find in banawe (but not as hard as like my maxima...)

pati ata power windows makakakuha ka din doon, hanap-hanap ka lang..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Take note... hindi exacto ang box-type front sa California.

ganon ba..parang kasi pareho lang sila (in dimensions, pero sa itsura, alam ko talagang magkaiba..slight)

kasi tingin ko, sa rear lang talaga difference nila...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    there's a difference between the sentra box type and the california regarding the front? They look the same to me. I was analyzing my car earlier today...do bubbles on the paint mean there is rust underneath or just moisture?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Pareho naman silang B12 model designation, but there are trim differences... baka nagkakamali ako, will check again later... may naka-park na boxtype sa labas, and my uncle with the California is coming home soon.

WIll post again when I see.

bubbles most likely mean rust... and if there's moisture, it'll cause rust anyway. The bubbles indicate gases formed from the reaction of water and metal.
    Last edited by niky; February 27th, 2006 at 09:45 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
help with nissan california's body