New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Hello people! I am trying to decide on what to do with my car. It is a 1989 Nissan California SGX. It came from our province that is close to the ocean, so at the moment there are a lot of parts on the body that are rusted really bad. To add to that, my dad did a lousy job of repainting the car 3 times without fully removing the paint, you can imagine how thick the body paint is. It doesn't look good, and there are air bubbles all over the car. This alone would cost A LOT to remedy (scrape to metal). I was wondering:
    1. how do you fix rusted parts that have already eaten through the metal and not just the surface? where and how much?
    2. is it possible to find a surplus body? if so, where and how much kaya?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    it would be best that you replace whatever panels you can with new ones or surplus ones that are in good shape. you might be able to find large panels from nissan itself...if they still have spares in stock. hth.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    or a complete strip to metal tapos pa latero yung mga panels na nabulok o kinain na ng kalawang.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    or donate mo na lang sa pepsi, sa coke o sa cosmos. hehehehehe. joke ang pow.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    The main question is does the car have a sentimental value ? And are the other parts of the car still in working order ? engine, shocks, tires battery, brakes and the electrical ? Because if paint is not just the issue its not going to be economical to repair the car. But then to give you a ball park figure I just had my 1987 L300 versa van repaired total cost P150,000. This included repaint, body repair (yes it was full of holes on the floor and sides), brakes, tires, battery, overhaul engine, and fix the aircon. In my case the amount I spend was way high as compared to the resale value. But comparing to a new van which is now at 733k. 150k doesn't really sound so bad the price is somewhat more or less what you would spend for your car if all the major parts needs replacement and repair.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by johnart
    The main question is does the car have a sentimental value ? And are the other parts of the car still in working order ? engine, shocks, tires battery, brakes and the electrical ? Because if paint is not just the issue its not going to be economical to repair the car. But then to give you a ball park figure I just had my 1987 L300 versa van repaired total cost P150,000. This included repaint, body repair (yes it was full of holes on the floor and sides), brakes, tires, battery, overhaul engine, and fix the aircon. In my case the amount I spend was way high as compared to the resale value. But comparing to a new van which is now at 733k. 150k doesn't really sound so bad the price is somewhat more or less what you would spend for your car if all the major parts needs replacement and repair.
    you have a very good point. I was thinking about that the other day and realized it would cost a lot more for me to fix the car than its market value. the logical thing to do would be to sell the car, and add nalang to get a better car. to tell you the truth, the car really isn't in great shape. The engine runs well, but everything else needs urgent repair. The thing is to be able to save up money to get a car after i sell the one i have now would take awhile and i really need a car. i just need an estimate lang siguro to figure out what to do. thanks!

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    If you can post a picture that would help but my guess is the body repair (scrape to metal) and repaint may be in the 50 to 60k range maybe a bit lower if there wont be any scrape to metal and if you find surplus body parts

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo
    Hello people! I am trying to decide on what to do with my car. It is a 1989 Nissan California SGX. It came from our province that is close to the ocean, so at the moment there are a lot of parts on the body that are rusted really bad. To add to that, my dad did a lousy job of repainting the car 3 times without fully removing the paint, you can imagine how thick the body paint is. It doesn't look good, and there are air bubbles all over the car. This alone would cost A LOT to remedy (scrape to metal). I was wondering:
    1. how do you fix rusted parts that have already eaten through the metal and not just the surface? where and how much?
    2. is it possible to find a surplus body? if so, where and how much kaya?
    uyy! OT ... pero welcome to tsikot. medyo close ang handle natin, nemo :-)

dami good advisors dito, bro ... wait ka lang until you get the one to go with.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    one problem with that "sell the car and save up for a new one.." is that, it's gonna be pretty damn hard to find someone to buy a car that's in that bad shape. unless you really really lowball the price and your buyer is really desperate to get any form of transportation (or: they're viva films and they need something to blow up).

for a 1989 car in bad shape, you'd be lucky to get 50,000 for it. are you willing to give it up for that price? (or most probably even less?)
    Last edited by orly_andico; February 25th, 2006 at 10:41 PM.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    80k would be your asking for a decent condition SGX, I'd say you'd be lucky to get 50k if the rust is that bad.

You can get all the paint and bodywork done for 50k or so, depending on the paint and amount of metal to be welded in. Not an economically sound thing to do, but selling the car might be even worse.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
help with nissan california's body