New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    I would like to consult to you a problem we have encountered recently with our 1997 GLXI MAZDA FAMILIA 323 Automatic Transmission.

When we were about to leave after dinner in a restaurant, our car didn't start anymore. We thought that it was just a matter of "konting pukpok" in our battery for it might have loosened a bit.

But after so many tries, we were not able to get it to start.

As per the car electrician that we have hired to help us, it was a problem of the distributor. We had to replace the IC, as they call it, there wasn't any current.

So we bought a new distributor. But then, it didn't work.

They told us that it is already a computer box problem. The shop said that the IC's are already burnt.

The car is still in the shop being fixed and they told us that it would take at least a week or so to have the box fixed (we didn't buy a new computer box as it is priced at 30-40k).

We just would like to know in your professional point of view if that is really the problem, and how it came about.

We also would appreciate it if you could provide us info where to getr reasonably priced computer box (because IT IS TRULY, TRULY EXPENSIVE!).

We hope, too that you could give us tips on how to maintain our car as well as detect first hand any problem.

We are not that much knowledgeable in these areas that is why we would greatly appreciate any valuable information and tips that you could provide to us. We wouldn't want automotive shops to take advantage of us being "less know-how."

We look forward to your immediate reply.

Thank you very much in advance!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    you can get a surplus ECU for perhaps 9k - 10k in banawe.

those people who repair the computer box, they just eyeball the "burnt" diodes and capacitors and replace them. i'm trained as an electrical engineer but when i looked at my busted ECU i knew it was beyond my skills. so the cheapest solution is just to buy a surplus one. you won't know how long it will last (but mine has lasted for 2+ years already).

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    There could be myriads of reasons.

Btw, YGPM!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You might want to get a 2nd opinion. Parang ang bilis naman atang nasisisi ng ECU. Have they actually tried swapping in another ECU from a similar car or trying out your ECU on another 323?

There are numerous recommended shops here at Tsikot (as well as numerous shops to avoid).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    ECU problem? i suggest you pull your car out and bring it to another shop.

there can be tons of explanation re the problem.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    when you switch on the engine:

may clicking sound ba?
    may crank ba?
    or none at all?

baka simpleng alternator lang yan and your battery got discharged.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip.U View Post
    I would like to consult to you a problem we have encountered recently with our 1997 GLXI MAZDA FAMILIA 323 Automatic Transmission.

When we were about to leave after dinner in a restaurant, our car didn't start anymore. We thought that it was just a matter of "konting pukpok" in our battery for it might have loosened a bit.

As per the car electrician that we have hired to help us, it was a problem of the distributor. We had to replace the IC, as they call it, there wasn't any current.

They told us that it is already a computer box problem. The shop said that the IC's are already burnt.

The car is still in the shop being fixed and they told us that it would take at least a week or so to have the box fixed (we didn't buy a new computer box as it is priced at 30-40k).

We just would like to know in your professional point of view if that is really the problem, and how it came about.

We also would appreciate it if you could provide us info where to getr reasonably priced computer box (because IT IS TRULY, TRULY EXPENSIVE!).

We hope, too that you could give us tips on how to maintain our car as well as detect first hand any problem.

We are not that much knowledgeable in these areas that is why we would greatly appreciate any valuable information and tips that you could provide to us. We wouldn't want automotive shops to take advantage of us being "less know-how."

Parang di ako maniwala na computer box problem kaagad. They should have checked the battery, starter, fuses, etc. aside from the distributor before they could say that. Hindi basta basta masisira ang ECU unless ilubog mo to sa baha o i-short circuit mo directly (most unlikely).

You can log on to www.protegetech.org, there a lot of experts there that can answer your questions if not directly.

Good luck hope your car gets fixed soon.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip.U View Post

I agree with the guys! get a second opinion, hindi basta-basta nasisira ang ECU.

it could be your distributor, starter, or whatever parts related to the ignition system.

sayang wala ngayon mekaniko ko (nasa cebu) ire-refer sana kita.

get a second opinion.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    actually burnt ecu's aren't too uncommon. lalo na in mitsus. pero we've seen them on honda's, toyota's etc. easy to look at naman pero it shouldn't be the first conclusion you jump too unless kitang kita na may sunog...

10. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    mga sir, almost same kmi ng prob in case na computer box nga ang nasira.. kasi ung sakin nabaha nung ondoy but then nakuha pang mapatuyo malinis ung box, and nagamit ko pa ung kotse for about 2 mos. hangang may clicking sounds nko naririnig and hirap na mag start ang kotse.. so nag paayos ako sa kilala kong mikaniko pero hndi nya specialties ang pag gawa ng comp box, kaya sabi nya try namin mag hanap ng tech for that.. may nahap ako pinag katiwala ko nman ung comp box ko sa nahanap ko na tech.. dun na nag simula problema... huling service nila that day, trying to fix my car sa shop mismo ng kakilala kong mikaniko.. until napansin ko ung computer box na dala nila is walang cover, ung mismong loob lng ng computer box, at iba na itsura nya, same socket pero i can tell na hindi un ung comp box ko,, kaya pinakita ko sa unang tumingin na kakilala ko ng tech, and nagtugma hinala namin, may swaping na nang yari. sobrang nanginginig ako sa galit that time pero try ko kumalma, im telling the techs na kinuha ko na hindi un ang comp box ko, pero ayaw nila mag sabi ng tutuo.. kaya nag reklamo nako sa municipio ng las pinas... i remember nung unang punta ko sa shop nila dala ko box ko, may nauna nang nag papaayos ng comp box sakanila and nagulat pako kasi mag kamukha in appearance ung comp box, sabi nila sa mazda 626 daw un.. andun ang hinala ko na pinag palit nila un.. so im thinking kuna mag ka pareho ba ng socket ung comp bx na 323 sa 626... kasi sabi nila mag kaiba dw un kaya imposibleng mag kapalit... but i know what i saw, ung binalik nilang box sakin is un ung nakita ko sa shop nila na kamukha ng comp box ko.. i badly need help mga sir na pro... pls txt me 09273378909 ian... my mom is willing to give some reward money kapag may tumulong sakin...

Help On Mazda 323 Glxi '97!