New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Does anyone have an idea regarding 1996 Mitsubishi Galant VR6?

What is the OBD port being used I or II? its port diagram? I tried scanning the ECU with AutoXray EZ Scan 5000 but the scan tool says the vehicle is not responding.

The problem started with the Check Engine light turning on while I was driving on my way home, and then suddenly theres no power with the car it can only go up to 2500rpm at 5th gear. After turning the engine off and turning it again usually the engine wont start. After a while the engine will start, and the engine Check engine lights disappears when I rev it up to 4000rmp and after a few minutes of idling it lights up again?

Any advice with the scanner and trouble is welcomed..

Thanks...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    for some reason, scanners have a hard time checking the local mitsus. even ours hirap unless it's a US or japanese evo. best bet would be to have mitsu MUT it.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    thanks speed, I did some research on the net a hound a found a few things about the mitsu here. I stated that i have a 1996 VR6 galant, with e54a body number prefix, has OBDII port, while surfing I came across a topic regading the mitsu, 1996 here its was 1993 in the US, it had the complete details it had the OBD2 port but itis actually a OBD1 port. The site also teaches how to extract the diagnostic code without the scanner, by earthing the pin 1 and the blinks will be counted. I'm going to test it today, wish me luck, ill give you the result if tit really works.
    Whats interesting is that Mitsu developed the OBD2 port and before it was used as a standard for all 1996(US) or newer MV that already placed it on a OBD1 MV.
    All this twisting me out of my mind..

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    obd2 was mandated for 1996 and up vehicles and uses the j1962 (16-pin dlc), prior to 1996 they are ob1 and vehicle has their own propietary mode of communication. the tenth digit of the vin identifies the year of manufacture so by there you could determine if it's ob2 or obd1. (though some manufacturers opted to use the ob2 prior to 1996)

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I got the problem solved, i took me 4 hours of surfing the net. Yep, twas OBD1 using a OBD2 port, i had to earth pin 1 then look at the blink codes.

The problem came from the cam angle sensor, i had to push and pull the wire, the CHECK ENGINE lights comes on and off, what i did was that I had to ask the mechanic to remove the sensor and when I checked the wire it was already stiff, and two wires were about to break. I re-harness the damaged wires and it think its already fine..

I have to do this since Mitsu Cebu is charging me with 4500 for the sensor(they still have to order it), 550 for the MUT scan and it think there is still additional charges..

Wala na akong pera...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    good you were able to fix it na!

actually, 1996 is about when they mandated it, but when the manufacturers complied is a different story.

even bmw and benz did not comply with the obd socket location and 16pin connector untill 2000-2001.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Thanks,

Spped, do you have any idea whre i can buy a second hand turbo kit, strut bar and air filter and their corresponding prices?

thanks

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    normally turbo kits are fabricated. hard to get one locally that is bolt on. ship your car over and we can take car of your kit for you if you like

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    how much will it cost me sir?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    easily over 100k since it is a v6. you need 2 of everything, turbines, manifolds, etc...

HELP, Cant understand the galant and scanner.