New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Hello. My mechanic diagnosed that I need to have my lynx's head cylinder gasket replaced because the engine is draining water from the lynx's reserve tank every now and then. The mechanic also advised that there might be a need to machine shop the cylinder block. Is it better to have it serviced at the casa or just some credible autoshops around? Will it have any effect or bearing on the engine if the job done was not good? Please help again. Thanks.

OT: The lynx recently had an overheat and this was (as the mechanic said) one of the cause of the problem. TIA ...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Losing coolant does not necessarily mean a head problem.

Try to search the other overheat threads here.

Do you see vapor/smoke coming out of the tailpipe when the engine is at operating temp?

Start with the simple things first like your radiator cap (it caused the coolant loss and overheat in our MB100).

If it really is a head problem, a reputable shop or mechanic can fix that (e.g. speedyfix, autotechnika, etc.). The casa is a safe choice (they can offer a longer warranty) but you'll be paying up front. Not all casas are the same so better read the reviews at the local Ford Club forum ( www.fordclubph.com ?).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    The surest sign of a cylinder head gasket problem is pag naghalo na ang tubig at langis sa radiator, kulay Milo sya, at mabilis mag-overheat ang makina.

Kung malinis pa ang tubig sa rad, then look for other possible causes of coolant loss (butas na rad, leak sa hose, tagas sa water pump, etc). At any rate, if you can afford it, go casa. Otherwise, kahit talyer kaya yan. But I'm sure, isa-subcon ng casa ang machining, kasi bihira ang casang may sariling machine shop.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Losing coolant does not necessarily mean a head problem.

Try to search the other overheat threads here.

Do you see vapor/smoke coming out of the tailpipe when the engine is at operating temp?

Start with the simple things first like your radiator cap (it caused the coolant loss and overheat in our MB100).

If it really is a head problem, a reputable shop or mechanic can fix that (e.g. speedyfix, autotechnika, etc.). The casa is a safe choice (they can offer a longer warranty) but you'll be paying up front. Not all casas are the same so better read the reviews at the local Ford Club forum ( www.fordclubph.com ?).

Thanks sir Otep.. I dont see vapor coming out of my tailpipe.. I also had my radioator and radiator hoses checked for any leaks..And the lynx does not overheat anymore (after repairing the hose). The autoshop I went to quoted me with a 2,000+ labor which will take about half a day. I am not decided on having this repaired because I need to have more opinions and feedbacks from fellow tsikoteers. And I am skeptical about the outcome of the repair at the moment.. Thanks again for your inputs...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If it's any consolation, I drove a vehicle with a damaged head gasket for more than 5 years without any major incident. It just ate coolant and oil from time to time.

Sold it without having the problem repaired.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Thanks sir Otep and sir Galactus..at least I will have peace of mind because I know it is not a major concern as of the moment...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Skidrow,

How severe was your overheating?
    Saan sa gauge umabot?
    How long was it that way?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    sir, baka naman punong puno yung resevoir tank mo kaya umaapaw.
    is this happen after mo magtravel tapos off ng engine?

ganyan din 7g galant ko kapag yung level ng water sa resevoir tank almost nasa max level... pag off ko ng engine umaapaw... kaya i make sure nasa mid lang ng max and low yung water level ko... ayus solved na.

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Skidrow,

How severe was your overheating?
    Saan sa gauge umabot?
    How long was it that way?
    Sir umabot sa pinakadulo (sa may "H") but it was only for about 5 mins. I stopped to let it cool down. Nung malamig na yung makina, tsinek ko yung tubig sa radiator at sa reserve ubos na kasi may leak pala sa isang radiator hose sa baba. I had it the hose fixed and the radiator overhauled.

From then on, hindi naman na nag ooverheat pero napansin ko lang lagi ako nagdadagdag ng tubig sa reserve tank for every trip kasi nagbabawas. May phobia na kasi ako kaya yun ang una ko ng tsinetsek.

*sir rogie: hindi naman puno yung reserve tank..usually, halfway lang yung water level. But after every trip (say 10 kms), nakakalahati na yung laman ng reserve tank. HIndi naman siya dati ganito prior to the overheating. Nung nag overheat saka na lumabas ang ganito problema.

Thanks.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidrow View Post
    Sir umabot sa pinakadulo (sa may "H") but it was only for about 5 mins. I stopped to let it cool down. Nung malamig na yung makina, tsinek ko yung tubig sa radiator at sa reserve ubos na kasi may leak pala sa isang radiator hose sa baba. I had it the hose fixed and the radiator overhauled.

From then on, hindi naman na nag ooverheat pero napansin ko lang lagi ako nagdadagdag ng tubig sa reserve tank for every trip kasi nagbabawas. May phobia na kasi ako kaya yun ang una ko ng tsinetsek.
    sign of minor problem sa cylinderhead gasket ung dagdag bawas ng tubig kung walang ibang leak sa cooling system. dun sa 1st overheat mo na damaged ung gasket ngkaroon na ng minor leak between the block and the cylinderhead kadalasan nyan dun sa gitna ng no.2 at 3 cylinder (piston) nasunog na ung part ng gasket dun kaya may singaw na, upon expansion ng piston 2 n 3, may malapit na water port dun kaya natutulak plabas ung tubig sa radiator thru reservoir. katagalan palala ng palala yan maslalo na pagnakaaircon ka parati, paikli ng paikli ang travel mo na kaylangan maglagay ka ng 2big at sa mga susunod mo na overheat palaki ng palaki ang warp ng cylinder head malamang na hindi na kaya ng reface ng machineshop dahil makapal na ang dapat ishave nila u have to replace cylinderhead na (new or surplus) major sign ng busted cylhead gasket: may oil slick un water sa radiator (pag remove ng rad cap visual check m ung rad cap gasket kung may oil at madulas na siya hawakan) , bubbles sa oil dipstick, remove radiator cap at irev m ung engine dahan dahan tumatapon ung tubig sa radiator.
    ung milo na ang tubig at may white smoke sa exhaust pagrev engine, sign na alam na ng may-ari ng auto nadapat nuon pa pnagawa ung cylinderhead gasket kaso hindi pinagagawa hehe jok lang sa mga ngsabi... patawa lang ...peace mga bro!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Head Cylinder Gasket Repair -Casa or Autoshop?