New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    is there any (bad) effects kung tumatakbo ng 60 km/h at naka-neutral ang gears? i always do this lalo na sa pababa (from SM mega - Julia Vargas going to C5, pababa eh) - i thought nakakatipid ito sa gas? What I do is from the stop-light, bwelo na ako then from third gear, i set it to neutral hanggang sa susunod na stop light sa may valle verde na.

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if its a manual tranny, it should not have any bad effects.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No bad effects on your vehicle parts, but you risk the driving control over your vehicle. What if someone accidentally cuts your lane? Stepping on the brakes real hard can spin you 360 degrees. There's no way you can conserve fuel on city driving. Face the fact that you will lose out on daily traffic.

Your best bet to conserve fuel consumption is lessen the high revs on each gear and be able to use your overdrive gear at the lowest speed possible without giving the engine a hard time using it.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    thanks guys... as Ungas have said it.. i guess mag-ingat na lang ako.. lagi! :-)

yung auto ko manual tranny po.

Thanks again!

5. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Originally posted by mgbrillo
    is there any (bad) effects kung tumatakbo ng 60 km/h at naka-neutral ang gears? i always do this lalo na sa pababa (from SM mega - Julia Vargas going to C5, pababa eh) - i thought nakakatipid ito sa gas? What I do is from the stop-light, bwelo na ako then from third gear, i set it to neutral hanggang sa susunod na stop light sa may valle verde na.

Thanks!
    I drive like this myself. I find it very convenient for zipping to and from one stop to another. I dont see any safety issue involved in this driving style because modern brake systems are more than capable of withstanding much worse abuse. I would only start worrying about brake fade when:
    a) The car Im driving is of an older era when drum brakes where the norm,
    b) The car/truck Im driving is heavy enough or towing/carrying a heavy load
    c) The route I am taking is a continuous downhill, and will be for such a time as to overheat my car's drum brakes.

Spinning the car when making an emergency stop is unlikely because the braking force on each wheel is well distributed, unless there is something wrong with the car itself or the loads are abnormally placed within it.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Accidents happen when you least expect it. All of us have different driving habits, experience will be your last factor what to do incase of emergency situations. :D

7. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    tama si ungas. Nothing bad can happen on your gears if it's on neutral, i do that always goin down from tagaytay. Bad trip lang if you hav to rev asap, medyo madedelay ka. OBserve mo na lang yun RPM mo if you're not steppimg on the accl and it reads 1t or 1200rpm ok na yun since 800rpm if asa neutral...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    eh pano kung AT, okay lang ba naka neutral while going down?

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    No wear and tear, but it's definitely safer to have the car in gear and engine braking while you're coasting downhill. I agree with sir ungas, better to be safe...

As long as the car is a modern EFI engine, it is using NO FUEL on a closed throttle as the injectors are not firing.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart
    eh pano kung AT, okay lang ba naka neutral while going down?
    Just make sure the engine is running. Otherwise you risk damaging your transmission from lack of lubrication. An a/t depends on fluid pump running off of engine power. If the pump is not in operation, certain parts will not be getting their lubrication demands met, resulting in expensive transmission damage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
gears, etc