New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jdab View Post
    May I ask how much would the repair cost? I also experienced this twice on my ES.
    Honda Marikina changed mine for free.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Honda Marikina changed mine for free.
    Did you avail any other service from them when you had your sensor changed?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I wasnt supposed to but i decided to have my throttle body cleaned since it was already in the shop and i was planning to have it done for the longest time already... the TB cleaning is a bit more expensive then in Speedyfix though but due to time constraints i decided to have it done already.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Never experienced that problem in '01 VTI-S.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcastro_ph View Post
    Never experienced that problem in '01 VTI-S.

It seems to be more common to the m/t models from what i heard.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    had the same problem 2001 VTI Manual Transmission. Right after they changed it, the car was running perfect again.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hi All

I'm currently experiencing a very very similar problem to the one described. However, I'm in Australia and my ES civic is a 1.7L.

My car has been stalling (ie. engine cuts out while driving) quite frequently of late, especially on the hot days. I have taken it to Honda and they are at a loss. They indicated that the engine did throw a code and that it related to a connection fault with the TDC. They checked the connection and said there was no problems. Not sure whether it is the TDC that is faulty. For those who had the problem:

1. Did your car's ECU throw up an error code? What one?
    2. How or what did Honda do to identify the problem? How long did it take them to find it? How did they know it was the TDC?
    3. Could it be the ignition coil problem that a few people have described? what are the symptoms for the ignition coil problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hesitant to just ask them to change the TDC without knowing for sure that they can identify it.

Are there some bulletin boards that honda has that identifies the problem even though it is not a recall?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hi Vinj,

meron ka pix sa sensor? o kaya kung saan nakainstall?
    I'm experiencing the very same problem(s) stated in this thread.
    Just bought bale a used 98 Civic Vti.... it was fine before but needs tune up, I had it tuned to my trusted mechanic also oil change & all.... then upon an overnight of no use (cold engine) then about to run... when changing gears or pressing the clutch rpm suddenly drops to full zero then dies.... though restarting is ok... it's also ok when idle....

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    for a 6 yr old car ok na maglabasan ang ganun na sakit not bad.

ganun nga din sa friend ko TDC surplus ang pinalit then ok na ulit.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sorry... i wasnt around to document when the part was changed. Idling problems become common as an EFI car changes and to start, do check with the sensors (cleaning, scan), clean the throttle body and check your ignition wires amongst some. Sometimes it's a compilation of several parts needing replacement/cleaning.

Ironhide, there was no error code that came out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
FYI for Civic '01 Owners (7th gen/ES): Defective sensor causing engine stalling