New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    ^ im, by far, not an expert pero.... di ba hiwalay ang fluid reservoir ng clutch master and brake master cylinder.

* roniblade....Yes, clutch reservoir has a small a black cap an next to break reservoir.

I assume it's the clutch master because it's near the vessel, takes DOT 3 fluid only. It' s in the corner, Inside the vessel is a rounded, black rubber like float. Do you think so?

* Carrie Tella.... DOT 3 fluid is a hydroscopic fluid, meaning it will fulls out moisture out of the air.

Most problem of why brake fluid turn black is because of moisture even sitting there in which in time goes black and that can lead to break seal going. This causes accidents when your brake pedal gives out because the seal pop'd. That is why newer car recommend to use DOT 3, DOT 4 or even DOT 5 if required because of boiling point and moist prevention. Even so brake fluid need to replace every two years as preventative maintenace at saka mura lang naman ang brake fluid and very easy to flushed.
    Last edited by v6dreamer; June 25th, 2008 at 01:12 AM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    yes, the masters are separate, but some cars share reservoirs. sample is the toyota vios.

if you pop your hood, you'll see only one reservoir shared by brake master and clutch master cylinders.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    one thing about how to distinguish a clutch master from the brake master is that the clutch master has only one piping and its connected to the transmission housing. brake however, has two pipes and its either connected to a proportioning valve (no ABS), or a hydraulic unit (w/ ABS). saka usually mas malaki ang brake master kesa clutch master.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    here is the pic of my engine bay... this was taken several months ago kaya madumi pa. pero super linis na sya ngayon

brake master is on the left with two pipes. clutch master is on the right with a single pipe (though hindi kita dito. natakpan ng charcoal canister)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    normal lang yan bro. ipa flush mo na lang sa suking gas station mo.
    i just had my brake and clutch fluids flushed two weeks ago. cost me 150 pesos sa labor tsaka isang liter ng brake and clutch fluid na 200 pesos ata.

dati sumasabit yung shifting ko, pero ngayon smooth na smooth na...

*spyghost: mas madumi pa engine bay ko sa iyo.... hehehehe. yung brake dyan is yung malaki at the left of the canister. yung clutch is yung maliit.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    :shake:

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    normal lang for it to turn dark. if it keeps happening fast though that might be a sign that the master is about to go so keep on observing it.
    up ko lang. nababawasan yung clutch fluid reservoir ko up to a point na dry up siya totally (while parked). kaya lang no visual signs of leakage. kaka papalit ko pa lang ng clutch lining & pressure plate. i just keep on refilling the reservoir para makapag shift ng gears.

what are the possible defects? kuha kaya ito ng clutch master overhall (near reservoir) using repair kit? kailangan ba itong ipagawa kaagad?

TIA

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by valvura View Post
    up ko lang. nababawasan yung clutch fluid reservoir ko up to a point na dry up siya totally (while parked). kaya lang no visual signs of leakage. kaka papalit ko pa lang ng clutch lining & pressure plate. i just keep on refilling the reservoir para makapag shift ng gears.

what are the possible defects? kuha kaya ito ng clutch master overhall (near reservoir) using repair kit? kailangan ba itong ipagawa kaagad?

TIA
    Yes, you have to have to it repaired/replaced as soon as possible. I just had the same experience. 4 months ago I had my change oil and the service man noticed that the clutch fluid in the reservoir was almost out. So he added clutch fluid but he noticed that it was so black. He vacuumed the fluid and put fluid again. It was still black, though. I thought everything was perfect after that. Around 2nd week of November, I noticed that the fluid went down again so I thought it was normal. So I put fluid again. Last week of November, morning, prior to using it, I checked the reservoir and saw that it's still full. I used it and drove it for 50 kms. At night, going home from the airport, in front of NAIA 3, when I pressed the clutch, it didn't go back anymore! I got a sticky clutch! I tried to pull it using my toes.hehe Near EDSA Guadalupe, it was a stop and go traffic, that was the time where I felt the problem. I couldn't shift anymore, the pedal gets stuck on the floor. Good thing I managed to park it in the building along EDSA Guadalupe. In the parking lot, I checked the hood and to my surprise, there's no more clutch fluid. I went to the Shell station and bought a fluid. I thought everything would work out fine after that. After putting the fluid, it gets emptied after like 5 clutch pedal pumps. Then I noticed that it's dripping underneath. I called my insurance's towing company and they just towed it to my house.

The next day, I had it home serviced by my trusted mechanic and he replaced the clutch operating assembly. He told me if I wanna have the clutch master assembly replaced too. I told him to check it if it's still good. He said it still looks ok so I said nevermind. Again, I thought everything was fine. The fluid got lower again the next day, and the next and the next. I went to my trusted shop where my trusted mechanic works and told him to check it. He noticed that there's a leak in, I forgot the name, but around the clutch pedal area. There he replaced the clutch master assembly and thank God after a week, I don't see the fluid going down and it's so clear unlike before that it was so black and murky. It cost me I think more or less 5k + the 3k towing.hehe

In short, have it replaced the soonest possible time coz for sure, just by showing signs that it's getting drained meaning it will give in anytime soon.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by valvura View Post

TIA
    Tignan mo sa loob, sa mya pedal baka nandun yun leak na natatakpan ng carpet o matting.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i changed my clutch last weekend and at the same time i also checked out the hydraulics. it turned out that the secondary/slave cylinder is leaking. i immediately changed it along with the dark fluid that i showed earlier. i think the piston cup (rubber) dissolves with the fluid thus turning it black. ang laki kasi ng difference ng itsura nila pag tanggal ko.

fortunately i dont have leaks in my master. not sure if the rubber is still good

see my new reservoir, i mean cleaned reservoir...

what i used to clean my reservoir is fresh brake fluid, clean cotton (absorbent) rags and tightly packed cotton buds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Fluid sa clutch master turns black