New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    nasubo ako sa mga banawe boys last week. anyway, they offered 1900 to repair-kit my PS pump. since ang alam ko na price (ng kit alone) was 2500, payag ako agad.

now.. well, no more leaks around the PS bearings, but it makes this godawful racket when turning. think of a bunch of bolts inside a milk can, then shake the can very vigorously, very fast. that's what it sounds with the hood open.

from the passenger compartment, it's this buzzing/humming noise which increases with engine revs (but above 4000rpm, di na siya rinig).

the banawe boys claimed that the noise was due to an additional leak in the high-pressure line. yes, there is a leak there too; it just wasn't noticed before because the PS pump itself was leaking badly so i guess the oil pressure was low.

anyway, i also read that under normal operating conditions, the pump will really be noisy if there's a leak in the high-pressure line due to the oil getting aerated through the leak. is this true? i'm concerned that the banawe boys did not put the PS pump together properly, hence the godawful noise..

also, regarding the high-pressure hose, i've gotten quotes ranging from 2500 to 5000. that's just for the hose assembly!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ano po ang ride nyo?

I used to hear that kind of sound from our Corolla AE101, small humming effect when steering is turned full 'til the end on both sides. Turns out that the high pressure hose has been leaking oil on the crimped side. I tried to remedy it by changing the high pressure hose from Fresco which customizes crimped high pressure hose to no avail.

The problematic P/S system was gone after I bought a Toyota OE hose at 8K, changed the damaged power steering pump 16K.
    Last edited by Ungas; August 24th, 2003 at 05:38 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    holy crap! :P
    i don't want to change my power steering pump (30k - 40k ang PS pump ng mazda 626).

who/where is this Fresco? that's exactly my problem, the crimped part of the high-pressure hose is leaking oil. i wanna try the customized hose first before anything else.. anyway i looked at the pump while it was open, it's very simple. worst-case, ipagawa ko ulit ng repair kit. pero hose muna..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO, baka po di rin kayanin ng pressure yung customized crimping ng Fresco. But if you want to try their hose, the shop is located in Banawe fronting Han Pao Restaurant beside NorthPark Restaurant. Coming from Quezon Ave. you'd have to get past RIDE Inc. on your left and a stoplight intersection which N.S. Amoranto (formerly Retiro).

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    crimped high pressure hose made to order at 1st st. cor rizal ave. just in front of david's tea house only a fraction of a fraction of the OEM's price. forgot the store's name.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, made to order hoses na lang. Pero just make sure na hose nga ang problem. Maybe the Banawe boys were just trying to cover up the mess they made with your pump.

A pump should only make hissing noises at full turn because it has to relieve pressure at that point.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ka otep,

i watched the banawe boys doing the pump. it's kinda hard to mess up the pump, it's a very simple mechanical thing.

regarding the hose, the hose REALLY leaks. it's obvious just from touching it. hindi cover-up yun. although i am preparing for the eventuality of the PS pump needing another repair job. maybe i can do it myself (the thing IS rather simple) since all the gaskets and O-rings have already been replaced.

also, it's not a hissing noise. it's a speed-related rattle. parang masyadong hinigpitan yung two clamshells of the PS pump. think of a knife being ground over a whetstone, parang ganun yung sound (medyo katakot nga eh).

when the car was * 5000rpm sustained (140kph) i smelled this slight burning smell and some smoke came out from under the hood. i suspect the PS pump overheated..
    Last edited by orly_andico; August 26th, 2003 at 01:04 PM.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Baka yung pulley mali ang pagkakabalik.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka yun idler pulley ng aircon nag stuck or the PS pump bearing going bad.

extremely noisy PS pump