New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Anong energy conserving oil ang available sa Phil market? I know of Havoline Energy 5W-30, its what I'm currently using.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sir pa explain naman po kung pano nyo nasabi ito baka ito na rin ang gamitin ko.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    interesting...

Energy Conserving and CI-4 PLUS Designations
    The bottom of the (donut) API logo tells whether the oil has energy conserving properties when compared with a reference oil in an engine test or if an oil meets CI-4 PLUS requirements.

Oils labeled as "Energy Conserving" have passed the test that measures an oil's ability to conserve energy. Widespread use of engine oils with this designation should result in an overall saving of fuel in the vehicle fleet as a whole, but a particular vehicle operator may not experience a fuel savings as a result of using these oils.

Used in conjunction with the CI-4 category, the "CI-4 PLUS" designation identifies oils formulated to provide a higher level of protection against soot-related viscosity increase and viscosity loss due to shear in diesel engines.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jezreel View Post
    Sir pa explain naman po kung pano nyo nasabi ito baka ito na rin ang gamitin ko.
    If you are asking how I determined that its energy conserving, its on the API service symbol on the bottle.

If you are asking if it does help save gas, short answer is yes.

This is how I determined it saves gas. Car Chevy Venture A/T with 70,090 kms. I keep an excel file on my maintenance service. Car is also equipped with an onboard computer.

At 58,000 kms, I used Castrol Magnatech 10w-40 semi-synth oil and reset the computer. Used this oil until 63,563 kms. Computer showed fuel consumption at 18.8 liters/100kms. I used Havoline Energy 5w-30 synth oil at 63,563 kms and reset the computer. I just changed oil last Sat at 70,090 kms and comuter shows fuel consumption to be 16.6 liters/100 kms. Savings of around 12%.

Route remained the same. However, I also attribute some of the fuel ssavings to a less aggressive driving style.

Can anyone suggest another API certified energy conserving oil? Preferably one with thicker viscosity.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Energy saving oils really have the low viscosity as this is part of the attributes for the oil to help in fuel efficiency.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    imo try anything with that viscosity. it should give you the same results.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Synthetics can be made thinner than regular mineral oils without losing their viscosity at high temperatures, so many commercial synthetics, like Mobil1 SuperSyn, Shell Helix Ultra and Castrol's (don't exactly remember the name of the oil) are available in very light formulations, from 0w40 to 5w30 or 40.

Any oil lighter than the one you currently use will save you gas... as long as your engine is in condition to use it.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Bro meron ba kayong alam na specific na oil nanakalagay sa API seal nito na energy conserving, kasi ganito ng nasa manaul ng honda kaya lang wala akong nakikita sa mga API seal ng motor oil.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Synthetics can be made thinner than regular mineral oils without losing their viscosity at high temperatures, so many commercial synthetics, like Mobil1 SuperSyn, Shell Helix Ultra and Castrol's (don't exactly remember the name of the oil) are available in very light formulations, from 0w40 to 5w30 or 40.

Any oil lighter than the one you currently use will save you gas... as long as your engine is in condition to use it.
    Pls clarify. When you say lighter, does it refer to the 1st or 2nd number in the viscosity? If its the 2nd number, then I can use say 5w40 and get the same gas savings, tama ba?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Mahirap yun if you don't know the math behind it (which I don't... ), but the weight of the oil is determined by both numbers.

5w30 will be thinner than 5w40 at running temperatures, but 5w40 will be almost as thin as 5w30 at cold temperatures. I don't know if 5w40 is thinner than 10w30 at running temperatures (maybe, maybe not), but it's definitely thinner at cold temperatures, which helps prevent engine wear (99% of engine wear happens at start-up and warm-up) and save gasoline.

The higher the second number (30,40,50), the higher the temperature range the oil can take. So a 5w40 synthetic is definitely better in terms of protection than a 10w30 synthetic, barring any other differences in formulation... which is also a complicated matter...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
energy conserving oil