New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hi guys...does anyone here knows how to disarm the airbag? I want to replace my stock steering wheel equipped with an airbag with an aftermarket Momo steering wheel. The problem is how to disarm the airbag , baka ksi biglang sumabog pagtanggal ng wire connection. The car is a Mazda MPV. Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi, I think generic naman ang pag-disarm ng airbag. Sa manual ng Corona ko heto yung steps:

1. Remove the battery negative earth (wait for 15 minutes before doing the next step).
    2. Carefully remove any screws and covers that secure the air bag module.
    3. Carefully lift the air bag module and carefully remove the electrical connection.
    4. Keep the air bag module in a safe place where no extreme shock can accidentally activate the air bag.

Hope this helps!!!

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Removing airbag need an extreme caution, this is very explosive stuff it could knock you down big time. Aside from removing your battery you will need also to find out which wire color for the steering airbag, in that case you can avoid common mistakes. Most wire run under your dash board that goes to your steering wheel. You need also a breaker bar to remove your steering wheel upon completion of removing airbag. Again, its not an easy task, so be carefull.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the corona procedure should be enough. most airbags are triggered by a primer na pinapaputok with current. so the trigger mechanism is not on the steering wheel.

removing the batteries and waiting for the remaining electricity (from perhaps capacitors)to drain should be enough precaution.

ang nakalas ko na ay from a pajero blister fender or field master version - 3 lang wires that goes to the steering wheel (after the turn and wiper switch) - one for the horn and two wires for the airbag.

hth

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanks a lot guys for your help, try ko po yung procedure. again, maraming salamat

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dagdag lang....i think you also need to pull the fuse for the airbag as well, just to be safe. sabi lang sa akin....

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    also remove the fuse/relay of the airbag. that should do it..

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    kahit battery lang should be enough.

Disarming an Airbag