New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    anu disadvantages & advantages ng slotted rotor disc ventilated with holes?

mura kaya ito? binebenta sakin ng P5400 1pair na

sabi nila mabilis daw mabiyak to pag hi-speed driver ka pro pag normal eh ok lang

advice naman ok ba ganito or stock nalang ako

mukhang made in taiwan to

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    bakit naman bibilis mabiyak? Most high-performance cars use slotted-drilled discs.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    The slots that we see on these types of rotors are actually machined in there to help remove dust and water found in racing conditions. These are not commonly found in regular cars because they tend to be harsh on the brake pads which wears them off quicker.

As far as I know, cracks occur on the rotor when it is of poor build quality. Remember, brakes work hard too when the car is subjected to extreme driving.

The advantage of slotted and drilled rotors is that it prevents the build up of water when driving in wet conditions, a plus in safety factor.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    where would the water come from in racing conditions?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When it rains during a race. They only change the tires during pitstop but never the rotor disc.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by forcemajeure View Post
    sabi nila mabilis daw mabiyak to pag hi-speed driver ka pro pag normal eh ok lang
    Only stock brake rotors that are later drilled/milled to provide the holes/slots can be considered dangerous because it might shatter due to the added stress of the holes/slots.

The main purpose of the holes is to provide a way for AIR to escape and prevent the brake pads from floating on a layer of high temp gasses escaping from the brake pads. The slots, on the other hand, provide a mechanism to clean the surface of the brakepad.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; February 12th, 2008 at 08:45 AM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I'd suggest a slotted disc but not a cross drilled disc. The slots allow gas build up between the pad and the disc from accumulating without the risk of cracking that cross drilled rotor have and also allows cooling of the disc. If cross drilled rotors aren't done right they crack during use from heat and pressure applied by the pads. Disadvantages? I can't think of any for slotted disc other than AFAIK you can't resurface it because of the slots. I use a Power Slot disc for my car and it's made by Brembo combined with EBC Red Stuff heavy duty ceramic pads.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Price...hehehe

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    +1 kay redorange.

Not all cross-drilled discs crack, but brake rotors get hot in daily use, then cold, then hot. This is because of the nature of traffic. You heat the brakes up when you hit traffic, then they cool down when you get out of it. Unlike the race track where they start cold, get hot, and stay hot throughout the race.

This continuous heat-cycling eventually leads to warping in stock rotors. On cross-drilled rotors, it can lead to cracks... most famously on new Corvettes, which come with cross-drilled rotors.

While a lot of people have no problem with cross-drilled rotors, there's still a chance of cracking, especially if you're not sure of the construction or brand of the rotor you're buying. If i were getting cheap aftermarket rotors, I'd go for slotted ones instead. They're still "pogi" points, anyway.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    salamat sa mga replies...

eto pa question ko mga masters...

yung price nya na P5400 mahal ba? or tama lang?

baka bumili kasi ako nito pagdating ng tamang panahon eh..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
disadvantages & advantages ng slotted rotor disc?