New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    I have a dash cam with sucker, the case is made of alloy and it is quite heavy.

I hesitate to use it, I doubt if the sucker would pull the tint apart from the wind screen or it would lose its suction and fall in the hot weather of the Philippines.

Do I worry too much? Please advise.

I note that a dash cam records a trip in a series of small video files, e.g. a file every 1, 3 or 5 minutes.

What is the purpose of doing this?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigT View Post

I hesitate to use it, I doubt if the sucker would pull the tint apart from the wind screen or it would lose its suction and fall in the hot weather of the Philippines.

I note that a dash cam records a trip in a series of small video files, e.g. a file every 1, 3 or 5 minutes.

Don't worry too much. Even if it falls off the windshield, it will not be the end of the world. But seriously, the power cord will save it from falling. Already happened to me a couple of times.

I suggest you apply a thin film of oil-based lubricant (I use petroleum jelly) on the edge of the suction cup before installing on the windshield. Dont use water because it will evaporate and will just push the cup off the glass.

As for the tint, you have no choice if you are using the suction but to hope it wont pull off the film.

Or you can buy a rear view mirror mount like this. I bought mine from Lazada for less than 150 pesos. My dashcam is G1W and I bought something for Xiaomi Yi but I was able to make it work.

Re: video file length, yes dash cams records videos and saves it small time intervals. This has two purposes. One is to enable loop recording function which requires erasing old video files. Second, it allows users to save only the videos they deem useful.

Imagine saving the video of your whole trip in one single file. Buti sana kung 40km trip lang pero kung papuntang Baguio. Mahirap i-review ang large files.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Or adhesive mount. Stick it anywhere you want

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigT View Post

I have been using dashcams with suction bases on various cars for years now. All of them have dropped at one time or another when it is hot inside. The dashcams have served us for at least a couple of years now. Only one has failed just a few months ago. The one on the Revo is so old, the suction cup doesn't have suction anymore. Dashcam is still working, so we permanently stuck the base on the windshield with double sided tape. Yes, the suction cup leaves marks on the tint after a while, but it won't cause the tint to fall off.

If you want to avoid this altogether, get a rearview mirror mounted dashcam.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dct View Post
    Or adhesive mount. Stick it anywhere you want

double sided 3m can do 30lbs Dash cam with a sucker

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    double sided 3m can do 30lbs Dash cam with a sucker

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    siguraduhin lang na VHB hehehe

7. Join Date
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    Don't worry too much. Even if it falls off the windshield, it will not be the end of the world. But seriously, the power cord will save it from falling. Already happened to me a couple of times.

I suggest you apply a thin film of oil-based lubricant (I use petroleum jelly) on the edge of the suction cup before installing on the windshield. Dont use water because it will evaporate and will just push the cup off the glass.

As for the tint, you have no choice if you are using the suction but to hope it wont pull off the film.

Or you can buy a rear view mirror mount like this. I bought mine from Lazada for less than 150 pesos. My dashcam is G1W and I bought something for Xiaomi Yi but I was able to make it work.

Re: video file length, yes dash cams records videos and saves it small time intervals. This has two purposes. One is to enable loop recording function which requires erasing old video files. Second, it allows users to save only the videos they deem useful.

Imagine saving the video of your whole trip in one single file. Buti sana kung 40km trip lang pero kung papuntang Baguio. Mahirap i-review ang large files.
    This was supposed to be the mount for our dashcam. However, limited or select rvm stalk lang applicable. Pag maigsi, negative na maikabit yan. Mostly pag coming from the ceiling yung rvm, medyo tight space. Medyo mahal pa ang bili ko noon, but now its so cheap.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The suction cup caused a warp on the tint of my car after prolonged exposure to sun light.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    The suction cups on my sunshade and the dashcam left warp marks on my windshield tint as well, but I only noticed it after several years. Actually at this time mukhang need na talaga nya ng new tint job.

Anyway, one of the purpose bakit maraming short files ang kailangan is so that mai-save yung mga previous files even in case of sudden loss of power. Yung iba kasi wala talagang battery and just getting the power from the car itself. Some do have capacitors to provide just enough juice to be a able for the last file (the currently recording one) to be saved.