New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Scenario:

You have just successfully installed your new Dash Cam. Clipped to your rear view mirror, it’s all systems go: front and rear camera displays ok, recording, setup, screensaver on by default, etc. Yey!

Night time arrives and as expected, glare from HID headlights and high beams from vehicles on the rear blinds you. Instinctively, you flick on the bottom tab on your OEM rear view mirror to switch on its driver-friendly night time mode.

Simultaneously, three things happen: 1) your dash cam display, clipped to the rear view mirror, tilts down 2) thus, you’ve lost your all-important view from the rear, 3) and, your front dash cam camera pointed up and recording the sky, rendering it useless for recording video from your front end. Bummer!

If your dash cam setup is similar to these, night time drives become a safety issue because of the unavoidable blinding glare from the rear reflected directly to your eyes from the clipped-on dash cam mirror. The only choice is to change the orientation of your rear view by tilting it up or down or sideways, both ways you lose your rear view.

Dash cams are vital nowadays but it raises problems during night drives. Are there any get-around/s to these irritating but critical safety issues?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by palapatik View Post
    Scenario:

You have just successfully installed your new Dash Cam. Clipped to your rear view mirror, it’s all systems go: front and rear camera displays ok, recording, setup, screensaver on by default, etc. Yey!

Night time arrives and as expected, glare from HID headlights and high beams from vehicles on the rear blinds you. Instinctively, you flick on the bottom tab on your OEM rear view mirror to switch on its driver-friendly night time mode.

Simultaneously, three things happen: 1) your dash cam display, clipped to the rear view mirror, tilts down 2) thus, you’ve lost your all-important view from the rear, 3) and, your front dash cam camera pointed up and recording the sky, rendering it useless for recording video from your front end. Bummer!

If your dash cam setup is similar to these, night time drives become a safety issue because of the unavoidable blinding glare from the rear reflected directly to your eyes from the clipped-on dash cam mirror. The only choice is to change the orientation of your rear view by tilting it up or down or sideways, both ways you lose your rear view.

Dash cams are vital nowadays but it raises problems during night drives. Are there any get-around/s to these irritating but critical safety issues?
    You fasten the dash cam to the stalk of the rearview mirror connecting it to the windshield, not the mirror itself. It won't move when you flick the rearview mirror to night mode.

Alternatively you can also stick it to the windshield itself, which is what I've done for my cars for over 2 years now with no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    OP is probably referring to dashcams that are integrated to a rearview mirror that you clip or strap on to your OEM rearview mirror.. RAC 3 Rear View Mirror Dash Cam Review – Drivn User Car Reviews

If that’s the case, you’re screwed. Some of the more expensive dashcam models of this type may have a day/night mode that dims the mirror. But most china ones, most likely not.

I have my camera on the stem as well and the day/night movement of the rearview mirror doesn’t affect it.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Have not seen any of those clip-on rearview mirror dashcams with good quality.

Under 5k you only really have the Viofo, Mini, and Xiaomi options.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by palapatik View Post
    Scenario:

My cheap China OEM dash cam is integrated onto a rear view mirror with a "bluish anti-glare" screen. It does serve its purpose . . . so far.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    You fasten the dash cam to the stalk of the rearview mirror connecting it to the windshield, not the mirror itself. It won't move when you flick the rearview mirror to night mode.

Alternatively you can also stick it to the windshield itself, which is what I've done for my cars for over 2 years now with no issues whatsoever.

Thank you all for the replies! These are all lessons that one should really take time to research, study, ask, and compare before making decisions for upgrades, no matter how small they are.

Currently installed dashcam performs satisfactorily on daytime drives but becomes a hazzle with its night time dazzle (pun intended). Its the type that straps in front and covers your OEM mirror completely, with its front camera fixed firmly on its side.

It may have that "bluish anti-glare" screen that Lin Dan mentioned but it's still pretty useless against glare.

I'm thinking of strapping the dashcam assembly behind the rearview mirror but it will also hide its display and touch screen.

Browser no longer supported
    Last edited by palapatik; November 11th, 2018 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Photo attachment

Dash Cam on Rearview Mirror Affects Night Time Mode