New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    As the title says. I was contemplating on saving this car of my girlfriend's father. Borrowed it last December 2015 and returned January for registration and borrowed it February. But prior to it the car was stocked for 2 years, not used until it took a toll on its appearance and overall condition. The last photo of the car I was (because my gf showed it to me) was 2011 and it was really shiny and well taken car off. Now it looks like a car ready to be blown at an action movie.

Present day, the car is now stuck again due to radiator leak. The car's engine works quite well (used it last May with 6 people including the driver and lots of stuff for a 4 day youth camp Las Piñas to Silang, Cavite).

I just want to know if it is feasible to restore this car to its former glory or just buy another 2nd hand car. And if I decided to restore this gem then how much be the possible cost?

Here's the cars problems I knew/encountered:

- Rusted roof with holes (lots of it). This is inherent with 1st Gen Honda city said by my old aged friend who has lots of friends with the same car. The car wasn't roofed or cover while stocked for 2 years. My friend says re-roofing is the only answer.
    - And since the roof has lots of holes, the car gets flooded when it rains. (But since I got the car I put duct tape on every hole).
    - And since it floods on the inside, many rusted parts on the seat frame and molds on the upholstery.
    - Clunky shocks (kalampag)
    - Super hard steering (Need to exhale hard while parking or turning back)
    - So many rusted metal parts (bulok) and putty (dented areas)
    - Oil hasn't been changed since I got my hands on this. Was very black (oil getting burnt by the spark plugs I guess).
    - Upholstery needs changing
    - Leaking radiator and possibly rusted water cooling system of the engine.
    - Engine possibly needs overhaul. (Oil grease everywhere).
    - Headlights needs changing (whole assembly not the bulbs).
    - Tires needs changing.
    - Needs freon charging. (The aircon works fine though).
    - Air filter needs changing (possibly air intake overhaul too).

Actual pics of the car.

I hope this thread would help other one way or another. Also please transfer this thread if I posted on the wrong part of the forum. Sorry newbie here. Thank you for the help!

*added: By the way, the last time I used this was on 2nd week last month. I tried to start the car before taking photos. It wasn't starting and I stopped after 5th attempt.
    Last edited by ian747; September 27th, 2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Added engine condition.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2016

Rusty exhaust manifold. (Sorry for blurry photo)

3. Join Date
    Sep 2016

Front right tire

Rear right tire (got punctured with screw. Yes I know what this would do on the shock.)

4. Join Date
    Sep 2016

5. Join Date
    Sep 2016

Roof with faded, crunchy, powdery duct tape

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    medyo malaki laki gagastusin dyan to the point na baka yung market price ng car mismo ang gagastusin mo.
    imho, dispose of it (kahuyin) and get another second hand one.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Yes po malaki nga gagastusin baka bandang huli gumastus kana nga then dikapa masaya.
    Baka gastus ka ng 150k jan ha.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tsikot Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Too old imo and Rust killed it...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Walk away from it na lang. Sakit ng ulo na lang idudulot niyan in the long run. Mas madaming mas maayos na city o ibang mga modelo nasa 2nd hand market available ngayon bro

to be or not to be, that always confuses me!

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    If it will ge given to you for free I would accept it and use it as is (beater car) It's definitely not worth spending money on for a daily driver.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by _Cathy_; September 27th, 2016 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast