New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hi everyone.

I'm new here. This is also my first time to own a (2nd hand) car. So I solicit your patience to this very dumb question. :D

I got my car (colored green) scratched by about 3 inches near the left front wheel. Why, I'm a new driver. ;) Anyway, I'm looking at getting it fixed. The car paint company I asked about yesterday said, the only way to bring the paint back is to paint the whole panel so that the color spread will be balanced! Is that right? I mean, the scratch is just 3 inches.

Also, can you recommend a good car paint company that can help me out on this? Preferably in Mandaluyong/Makati/San Juan area.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Welcome to tsikot.com!

Don't worry, no question is too dumb to answer (pero pag nagtanong ka kung anong hugis ng gulong......hehehehe). May mga new drivers din dito, meron pa ngang mag-aaral pa lang mag-drive eh, so it's cool.

Three inches yung gasgas mo. Is this the length or the breadth of the damage? Whether the panel has to be repainted or not depends on how extensive the damage is. I once scratched my ride in two places, the steel body and polypropelene bumper. Yung sa body, nadaan sa buffing. Yung sa bumper, I had to bring it to a Mitsubishi painter para maayos. Medyo malalim kasi yun e.

Have you tried buffing it with Turtle Wax Scratch and Stain Remover, or a rubbing compound? Might work for that scratch, especially kung hindi naman malalim. If the damage is not that long, maybe you can have the original color mixed at an auto paint shop, tapos apply mo na lang using a small brush (yung pang-nail polish maganda for really small scratches).
    Last edited by Bogeyman; September 29th, 2004 at 01:37 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thanks Bogeyman!

Actually, I was like, trying to read greeks at this time. Hindi ko pa kasi alam din ang mga terminologies sa kotse. hehehe.. anway, medyo nakakasunod naman.

I'll try to buy Turtle Wax Scratch and Stain Remover. Sa Megamall kaya meron non? On the other hand, I think the scratch is deap. Parang na tangal pa yata yung talagang paint. The evidence is, medyo na piyot yung area na nagasgas. Btw, the 3 inches is the lenght.

I think the paint mixing is also a great suggestion. Yun nga lang, may piyot. (Pangit pala pag binabasa ang word na yan ;) ) It'll stay that way if I go for that option.

Anyway, I'll give these things a try. Any car paint companies you know that can help me out on this? Mandaluyong/Makati area.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    You can find Turtle Wax Scratch and Stain remover sa Megamall. 3rd floor, sa Concorde or sa basement level, sa ACE Hardware.

I wouldn't know of any car paint companies, pero what I can suggest is an auto detailer. Meguiars is one such reputable detailer. If I'm not mistaken, meron yatang Meguiar's shop along Shaw Blvd. Meron din sa mga selected Caltex stations.

EDIT: Now I remember. There's a shop called Aimogo, Inc. that specializes in auto paint jobs. Sa Shaw Blvd. din, near Kalentong. Halos katabi ng Mandaluyong Ice Plant at malapit sa Jose Rizal University. I don't know if they're still in business though. Medyo five years na kasi mula nang lumipat ako eh.
    Last edited by Bogeyman; September 29th, 2004 at 03:06 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thanks a lot, Bogeyman!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Originally posted by Bogeyman
    You can find Turtle Wax Scratch and Stain remover sa Megamall. 3rd floor, sa Concorde or sa basement level, sa ACE Hardware.

I wouldn't know of any car paint companies, pero what I can suggest is an auto detailer. Meguiars is one such reputable detailer. If I'm not mistaken, meron yatang Meguiar's shop along Shaw Blvd. Meron din sa mga selected Caltex stations.

EDIT: Now I remember. There's a shop called Aimogo, Inc. that specializes in auto paint jobs. Sa Shaw Blvd. din, near Kalentong. Halos katabi ng Mandaluyong Ice Plant at malapit sa Jose Rizal University. I don't know if they're still in business though. Medyo five years na kasi mula nang lumipat ako eh.
    Malapit lang kami dyan. I think they're still in business. I'll check them out. Thanks again.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Alternatively, you can buy a pentel pen like Paint Retouch. You can buy it on Concorde around P250, just be sure what color variance your car is then look for a similar paint retouch. It is just like a pentel pen size with a nail polish brush that you will be used to hide the scratched area. If it has dent, then better have it serviced by a real car paint shop.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thanks, doublea. It has dent. So I guess I need a real paint shop. In the meantime, I'll try all your suggestions to get rid of that ugly scratch.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    php4us,
    try the turtle wax polishing compound first.

if that doesn't work, buy a can of spray paint at true value, the color closest to your car. also buy some 800 grit sandpaper.

now here's what you do.. fold a piece of sandpaper about 4" x 2" so that the sand is facing outward. then, gently sand the scratch with the edge of the sandpaper.

after that, spray some spray paint onto a saucer or can or something. use a very thin paintbrush (like the nail polish kind), dip in the sprayed paint, and VERY CAREFULLY paint the scratch. do NOT put several coats of paint, it might run. leave to try for 3 days.

after 3 days, check the new paint. if the scratch is still visible (may puti pa rin), put another coat of paint (same technique). leave for 3 days ulit.

afterwards, you will certainly have overpainting. and the new paint will not be shiny. get your polishing compound, and buff the h*ck out of it. that should bring the level of the new paint down to the body, and shine it too.

finally (optional) give the area a good waxing.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    that's 3 days to DRY. :P
    you need that long because of the paint isn't totally dry and you buff it... it will all come off.

OTOH, if you say the panel is dented, i think you should see a professional and have the dent removed. they can also fix the scratched portion. OTOH, repainting the whole panel shouldn't be too expensive (2000-3000?) but they might have trouble matching your color if it's an exotic or metallic color.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Car scratch fix suggestion