New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Hi all!

I have been using a 10 year old 1.3L carb type corolla more often now, (mas matipid kasi sa gas ) regular stop-go trapik, driven 5-8kms on the average.

For so long havent really put much attention to the oil used. Regular oil change every 5000 kms/3 months naman pero iba iba brand at viscosity (all mineral based). Now I decided to shift to a particular brand na maganda para naman tumagal pa yung buhay ng car. Ano po ang suggestion nyo na maganda gamiting motor oil for my old car? Shift to synthetic based?

Thanks in advance po.

------------------------------------------------
    I know this has been discussed before and I have read a lot of suggestions already, but most of those post are at least a year old. So I would like to start a new thread. Hope you don't mind mods

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    check out my sig, we have a new promo with motul lubricants. you can't get much better than that

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix
    check out my sig, we have a new promo with motul lubricants. you can't get much better than that
    Nice! Actually, Im due for oil change today. I might pass by your shop later today. Balak ko ipa flush muna (I read this is good when shifting from mineral to synthetic?) bago i change oil. How much do I add po?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    i wouldn't suggest flushing. we normally don't do it unless there is gunk buildup inside the engine.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    You will just be wasting your money if you shift to synthetic engine oil. Unless you drive extremely or engage in competitive motoring, your engine will just be fine with good-quality mineral-based oil.

Don't be caught with the marketing hype on synthetic oils.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    what's wrong with using engine flush?? Honda CASA regulary uses engine flush every oil change.

i wouldn't suggest flushing. we normally don't do it unless there is gunk buildup inside the engine.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vince168
    what's wrong with using engine flush?? Honda CASA regulary uses engine flush every oil change.
    Dude, read this:
    It's an unnecessary expense (if there is no gunk buildup inside the engine), IMO.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you change your engine oil and oil filter "RELIGIOUSLY" every 5,000kms, no need for an engine flush. the fresh oil will more than suffice.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yep... what for if there is no dirt to flush out. dagdag kita lang yan if people insist on flushing oil. also normally flushing will eat away at the seals since they are petrolium based. the best flush would be a new filter and cheap oil before putting the good quality oil inside.

re: the benefits of fully synthetic oil, read up on it... madami kayo malalaman na differences between that and regular mineral oil.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With a fully synthetic oil... even after 10K km the oil still feels light / thin - and is still relatively "clean".

But with mineral oil, it is more dirtier and heavier (even after just 5K km)
    Last edited by mazdamazda; December 3rd, 2005 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Motor oil recommendation for old cars