New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    hi to all tsikoters...

i was in an auto shop in araneta, nakita ko may 'gadget' they call it an

Air Swirl, actually nakita ko rin ito sa TV. install ito sa hose before the intake

manifold. ang sabi yung air na papasok swirl niya going to the engine to make

more oxygen and better engine performance.

Sino na nakatry nito?

thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anthon05 View Post
    hi to all tsikoters...

i was in an auto shop in araneta, nakita ko may 'gadget' they call it an

Air Swirl, actually nakita ko rin ito sa TV. install ito sa hose before the intake

manifold. ang sabi yung air na papasok swirl niya going to the engine to make

more oxygen and better engine performance.

Sino na nakatry nito?

thanks

hahaha. so the "gadget" is a catalyst to making oxygen beyond 21% of the air you breathe?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    meron civic ganyan ko dati parang tornado na made in korea Uniq ata brand. la kwenta. sayang lang pera ko. nun binalik ko la na daw money back kasi more than two weeks ko na daw ginamit

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    hi ghosthunter and mga nag reply .. thank you

it means useless pala. muntik na ako kasi naisip ko parang harmless kasi

sa air intake lang. and yung crosswind ko kasi emits white smoke on start up

naisip ko baka kulang sa air intake....

have a nice day to all..

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    mga sir gumamit ako nyan sa BOX TYPE ko using small improvise aux fan and it works, ang gusto kc ng engine cold air to speedily come in, ngayn nga although nk racing filter ako sa galant2.0AT balak ko lagyan ng similar approach, un sa market kc mahal na tapos yun hangin mismo n humihigop ang nag papaikot, yun approach ko kc connected to the power, upon start andar nrin sya.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by casper 17 View Post
    mga sir gumamit ako nyan sa BOX TYPE ko using small improvise aux fan and it works, ang gusto kc ng engine cold air to speedily come in, ngayn nga although nk racing filter ako sa galant2.0AT balak ko lagyan ng similar approach, un sa market kc mahal na tapos yun hangin mismo n humihigop ang nag papaikot, yun approach ko kc connected to the power, upon start andar nrin sya.
    I think what you have is quite different from that we are referring to. What you have is an aux fan to pull outside air into your engine bay.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Useless... i watched one of those infomercials last year. They tested a diesel Adventure with and without the product from Balintawak - NLEX - Angeles/Dau and vice versa. They showed better FC with the swirl thingee but one thing they did not mention which i noticed on screen was they were running 80kph with the swirl thing on and 100kph without it... so talagang mas matipid yung run with the gadget.

Car and Driver also did a controlled test with those products (on a closed circuit, controlled speed and weight) and there was no difference.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Sir Ghost, I often see your mentioned devices attached to the air intake hose of vehicles in magazines abroad, acting as a air ram, am i right in presuming that its a faux supercharger that is not belt driven? Does it really have a effect? How much rpm does the fan need to help in the air ramming process? I'm curious, coz medyo madali lang naman gawin. Will it affect fuel consumption and/or will it affect hp?
    Last edited by mazingerZ; May 6th, 2010 at 11:32 PM.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    Sir Ghost, I often see your mentioned devices attached to the air intake hose of vehicles in magazines abroad, acting as a air ram, am i right in presuming that its a faux supercharger that is not belt driven? Does it really have a effect? How much rpm does the fan need to help in the air ramming process? I'm curious, coz medyo madali lang naman gawin. Will it affect fuel consumption and/or will it affect hp?

An air-ram is basically a big funnel to push air into the intake when the car is moving fast enough.

Getting air to produce power is not just a matter of RPM. It is a matter of moving a certain volume of air per measure of time (second or minute) and actually creating an increase in pressure between the device and in the engine cylinder.

A typical 1.6L 4-stroke engine running at a 1000 rpm will require 400 liters of air per minute or 6.667 L/sec of air at ambient pressure. Increase the RPM to 4000 rpm and the volume require is now 1,600 L/min or 26.667 L/sec.

The closest thing I can think of is the "E-Ram electric supercharger". (You can google it up). It is claimed it can do 1 psi pressure gain in the intake. The fan runs at 25,000 rpm (unloaded). HP gains is claimed to be around 5%. Power required is almost 900 watts (roughly 1.18hp).

Making a device that can move air is easy. But making a device that can create pressure in an engine intake is hard. Just like a hair dryer, it can move air but it cannot create pressure.

BTW, a garden leaf blower does not provide enough power to produce positive pressure in an engine intake.

As for fuel consumption, it takes fuel to make more power. If you add more air and keep fuel the same, it will lead to a lean run condition. The engine may overheat and create other problems. If you increase both air and fuel, you can expect HP gains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Air Swirl for intake manifold