New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Hey'ya guys. I am planning on doing a full upgrade and a makeover to my HM Contessa (1983). The original car was made in the days when our economy was still not open to foreign trade. I really found the ride + comfort of the Contessa surpass most imports available today.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing a complete upgrade. For now, I'm focusing on the engine, transmission, and suspension. If anyone can give me an idea as to what engine, transmission+clutch can be fitted in the car, it will greatly be appreciated. I am not interested in smashing records. I am more in for the smooth ride. Here are the tech specs of the original components:

ENGINE
    Type: OHC (Isuzu 1877cc)
    No. of Cylinders: 4
    Capacity: 1817 cc
    Bore: 84 mm
    Stroke: 82 mm
    Compression Ratio: 8.5
    Max. Power: 75 HP at 5000 rpm
    Torque: 13.8 kgm at 3000 rpm
    Cooling: Water cooled

Transmission
    Clutch Type: Diaphragm
    Diameter: 215 mm
    Gear box no. of speeds: 5
    Ratios 1st 1) 3.736
    2nd 2) 1.963
    3rd 3) 1.364
    4th 4) 1.000
    5th 5) 0.775
    Reverse: 3.402
    Synchromesh on: All forward gears
    Final Drive Ratio: 3.417
    Drive: Rear

Suspension
    Front Type: Independent front suspension with coil springs-wishbones and anti-roll bar
    Shock Absorbers: 2
    Rear Type: 5-link Rear Suspension Coil Springs, Anti-Roll Bar and Panhard Rod
    Shock Absorbers: 2

Any ideas on what parts can be used in the above areas will be greatly appreciated. I am not planning on refitting or repairing the engine. I'd like to work with new parts. Thanks for the time guys. The pic of the HM Contessa is on the thumb below.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Is this car made by Hino?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by falken
    Is this car made by Hino?
    It's made by Hindustan Motors under some input from GM (UK).

4. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    hmmmmm....did this car reach our shores? I am not familiar with it.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hmm...never heard of the car until now.

anyway, if you're looking for a smooth ride and you like your car's ride already, why not tune up/freshen the car with manufacturer-spec parts? most other performance mods to engine, tranny or suspension will only add noise or harshness. i am assuming you're not looking to do anything drastic like fit in a V6 or convert it to an automatic or have someone fabricate a fully independent suspension for you...?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Parang Holden a. Yung dating marami dito.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carlocaraddict
    hmmmmm....did this car reach our shores? I am not familiar with it.
    It saw heavy use in South Asia in the 80s among the luxury segment. It was valued at INR 5,00,000 (like 5,50,000 pesos) then. They did export them but mostly for the USSR for use by party bosses. Not sure how many cars made it to ASEAN countries though...

anyway, if you're looking for a smooth ride and you like your car's ride already, why not tune up/freshen the car with manufacturer-spec parts?
    The government phased out the car after HM was privatized. This was in 2001. So, HM no longer offers support for the Contessa. I can manage the engine with some looking around, but the suspension really worries me.

I mean, is it worth repairing the existing parts (esp. suspension) considering the car was made in 1983???? The problem is that most cars today use the McPherson suspension system. The contessa uses the 5 link independent cross member mounted suspension. Can you get parts for such suspension systems nowadays?? Has anybody worked with such suspension systems? As far as I can see, this is the only real challenge I'll be facing.

Anyway, here's the link to more specs:

http://auto.indiamart.com/cars/contessa/index.html

Advise needed: Upgrading a HM Contessa