New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hello tsikot peeps,
    my lancer's right front door wont open. the only remedy to the problem, according to a mechanic, which i believe is true, is to destroy the door opener/handle, and from the hole, one can reach for the stuck locking mechanism inside.
    i find the price of a new door opener/handle to be very steep at P2,400.00. Is the part available in the surplus shops at banawe? If it is, how much is the approx. cost?
    thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    I had the same problem about two months ago. I went to Evangelista street in Makati and had it fixed there. Do not have it destroyed by your mechanic!!! The procedure is that the door cover/siding will be removed first, and from there; the door can be opened by pulling one of the door mechanism inside. What happened there is that the spring that connects to the mechanism was already broken due to rusts. I am 100% sure that is the case of your door meechanism. You will only have to pay P300 for the labor and P50 for the surplus spring. You can call this tel # 7513602 and look for Jinggoy. He owns the shop in evangelista. You'll never mistake this person because he looks like Sen. Jinggoy Estrada himself.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    thanks for the info sir blackknight. however, i think it's just not possible for me to have the door panel removed without destroying it, because a screw, covered by the dash board when the door is closed, holds the door panel. and, another thing, the door panel is wedged between the door and (door jamb?). btw, my ride is 96 lancer (itlog).

4. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    I tried removing the door panel myself at first, but because of the same problem I encountered; I decided to have it removed by an expert in door jams. The first one to be removed are the ff:

1. seat belt panel cover
    2. door panel and its accessories
    3. door lock assembly

Trust me and have it done by an expert so that you will not break any part of the 2 panels. There is a technique in removing it. I didn't figure it out at first . I didn't want to spend on repairs at first when I encountered the same problem. You'll know what to do next when such problem happens on you other doors. Have it fixed ASAP because you'll never know when an accident might happen. The passenger on a jammed door cannot exit immediately in cases of emergency. Call the person I mentioned earlier and have a schedule with him once you drop by the Makati area.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    sir blackknight thanks for every info you shared with me. i appreciate it very much. dont worry im gonna have it fixed right away. mabuhay ka.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    You are very much welcome. If you also have problems with your corolla, you can PM me if I'm online here. We both have the same Corolla GLI.

'96 lancer door handle/opener