New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    hi guys. anyone here knows an autoshop/mechanic which specializes in nissan cars. my sis's exalta has been having problems kasi. the problem is pag gapang sa traffic yung kotse pumapalya makina. kahit i-rev mo siya hanggang 2k rpm lang hanggang sa mamatay na makina. what she does is pag naramadaman nya na sinusumpong na. tinatabi nya muna, pahinga ng 1 hour then ok na ulit. never naman nangyari pag cruising speed ang takbo. talagang sa traffic lang, tingin ko pag nagiinit ang makina. labas masok na sa casa wala naman makita. panay palit lang ng fuel filter then fuel pump. na try ko narin papalitan yung aux fan w/ a surplus, kasi nakita kong mabagal yung fan nya dati. nawala for a couple of weeks pero balik na naman. Baka meron kayo kakilala or maisasuggest na nissan expert. hopeless na ang casa eh.
    thanks po!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rusem View Post
    hthe problem is pag gapang sa traffic yung kotse pumapalya makina. kahit i-rev mo siya hanggang 2k rpm lang hanggang sa mamatay na makina. what she does is pag naramadaman nya na sinusumpong na. tinatabi nya muna, pahinga ng 1 hour then ok na ulit. never naman nangyari pag cruising speed ang takbo. talagang sa traffic lang, tingin ko pag nagiinit ang makina.

i'm no expert...but it sounds suspiciously familiar to overheating -- more specifically, there may be a problem with the radiator/aux fan. ganun din kasi naranasan ko last april. umiikot ung aux fan, pero sobrang hina. ganun din, pag heavy traffic tsaka sinusumpong.

imho, the reason why your engine doesn't overheat at high speeds is that the air ramming through your radiator is enough to compensate for the fan.

but, like i said, i'm no mechanic. sir speedyfix' shop should be able to handle your prob...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i'm no expert...but it sounds suspiciously familiar to overheating -- more specifically, there may be a problem with the radiator/aux fan. ganun din kasi naranasan ko last april. umiikot ung aux fan, pero sobrang hina. ganun din, pag heavy traffic tsaka sinusumpong.

imho, the reason why your engine doesn't overheat at high speeds is that the air ramming through your radiator is enough to compensate for the fan.

but, like i said, i'm no mechanic. sir speedyfix' shop should be able to handle your prob...
    badkuk, no sign of increasing temp. well, atleast sa gauge temp gauge nya.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it's temperature related, it could be a sensor problem. Sounds like an ignition system problem, suspiciously similar to the early Cam Position Sensor problems on the Lynx.

Hmmm... a rudimentary search on the internet reveals a general crank position sensor and cam position sensor recall for certain QG engines in the US and Europe. You may want to consult Nissan on whether this is the problem with your vehicle.

Here's a possibility: check the third item on the list.
    http://www.automallusa.net/2002/niss...a/recalls.html

See if the described symptoms are familiar or similar to yours.

The QG16DE in your car isn't the QG18DE, but I suppose the sensors are identical.

Ask on Nissanbayan.com, too, to see if other owners are affected. If there are, there might be a warranty case there. If not, you might have to fork out the money yourself. I've never heard of this problem in the Philippines, but if it's heat and stress related, it might be that it takes time to manifest itself. If that's so, then they may not cover it, as they can cite "wear and tear" as the reason for failure.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    thanks badkuk, niky... i have a feeling it's electronics that goes haywire when the car is stuck in traffic and gets heat soaked. pero wala naman nagfail sa cooling system nya. also, nissan casa along pasong tamo said wala naman daw defective sensors...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Since its a Sentra, have the IACV cleaned. I had the same symptoms which was solved by cleaning the IACV. I'm sure, madumi yan. Check nissanbayan's site, andaming Sentra owners with the same problem

7. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    mga sir Whats an IACV?

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyrob88 View Post
    mga sir Whats an IACV?
    It is Idle Air Control Valve, I think...

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    some sensors pag nag-iinit ay nag oopen resistance so i go with the same theory with niky which is more likely the crank sensor or the cam sensor. if you have acces to any scanner that can read the sensors then it's easy to diagnose; use a heat gun and aim it to the sensor while reading the live data and observe kung ma duplicate mo ang problem. or kahit walang scanner pwede mo din gawin ang test na ito.

2002 nissan exalta woes