New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    What are the pros and cons of modding my 16" rims to 20" from my freelander ?? how would it affect torque, speed, speedometer, rpm, etc.??

please advise.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Went to Dubshop yesterday and swapped the stock 16" set-up of my 5-day old Mazda Tribute with 20" Elegance blings and 255/40 Toyo tires. The new combo is exactly the same height as stock so torque, speedometer readings, etc, should be unaffected. The handling (steering & cornering) also stayed the same. However, the ride got noticeably bumpier due to the 40 series tires.
    When time comes for a change of rubber, I'll switch to 50 series or more, whatever will fit properly in the wheelwells. If I do that, then i know the speedometer reading will no longer be accurate. I also assume torque from a standing start would be reduced but top speed would increase with the larger diameter set-up. But I'm just guessing.
    But for what it's worth, I just want to advise you to not buy 40 series tires if you want to maintain a comfortable ride.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    your car will be noticeably slower off the line because of the big increase in unsprung weight.

the bigger rims will be a PITA to clean

ride quality will be worse, as already mentioned

get ready to pay much more for tires when replacements are needed

but even with all those drawbacks, imo there's nothing that improves the looks of your ride more than a tastefully done plus-size wheel/tire combo... :2thumbsup:

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dont forget the slight increase in fuel consumption.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Thanks a lot for those hints.

bumpier... it's a reality for low profile tires.

I was just thinking about this coz before i switched my 730i's 15" to 18" thus front caster lines suspensions were also sacrificed after a while. but then again looks is better go M54!!

since james gave me a clear picture of SUV's modding on 20" then i'll give it a go BTW.. Nice ride man..

my unending worries would be rough roads
    Thanks again to all...

20" Blings