New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I need your wisdom on this. Together with a specific brand and make is an attached 1.5, 1.6 - 2.0L. Would this only indicate the fuel capacity of a car or would it mean other things? Thanks!!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Those numbers indicate displacement.

Displacement refers to the total internal volume of the engine's combustion chamber, i.e.: how much fuel/air mixture can be squeezed between the piston and the chamber at full-stroke. This is theoretical, mind you, because the pistons are never all at the same position at the same time.

So, 1.5 means 1.5 liters or 1,500 cubic centimeters of displacement.

Cars with lower displacement, in general, make less power (can burn less gas at the same revs, thus produce less power) but use less gas. Cars with higher displacement make more power, but use more gas.

There are exceptions, of course, but if you're talking about the exact same car and brand, this holds true, most of the time... unless the smaller engine is turbocharged and the bigger engine isn't, or the smaller engine revs ridiculously high compared to the bigger engine.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thank you for the information. Now how do i know if my car is 1.5 or 1.6? Is there any physical attributes in the engine? By the way, I've been to 2 shops and they said 2 different stories. By the way, my wife's car is an MMC '96 glxi. Thank you!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You can check your registration papers and see what they say. I'm not familiar with the 96 Lancer, but it's probably a 1.6.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Nasa rehistro yan. Baka meron din sa firewall, sa bandang itaas.

GL ang 1.5.
    GLXi 1.6. Unless kinabitan lang ng emblem na GLXi, or nagpalit ng makina.

1.5; 1.6; 2.0 inquiry