New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Hey guys, I've been trying to find some information about this, but having a bit of trouble, so I figured I'll just ask. I want to import a car from Japan to use here as a race/ drift car.

I'm aware that RHD cars are illegal in the Philippines, but what is it like to import one for race only use?

Are the extreme taxes on importing used cars the same if it's not going to be used on the road?

I understand it's almost impossible to import myself, can anyone suggest a company that would provide this service?

And lastly my question is, will it be worth it? I know there are already LHD Japanese cars here for sale, but I would much prefer a RHD car. Would it be cheaper to just buy one locally and have it converted back?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    bawal ang rhd dito sa atin may it be for racing or anything else. kailangan lhd lahat.if you want to import your race car, pag dating dito need i-convert to lhd bago gamitin. of course it will be much more expensive than buying a converted unit here itself.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    bawal ang rhd dito sa atin may it be for racing or anything else. kailangan lhd lahat.if you want to import your race car, pag dating dito need i-convert to lhd bago gamitin. of course it will be much more expensive than buying a converted unit here itself.
    Opps, Should have mentioned I'm from Australia, so I don't speak much Tagalog. So your saying it's illegal to own a RHD car in the philippines? In Australia you can import a car under a rule for race use only, which means it can never be registered on Australian roads, I was hoping there would be a similar thing here too.

Would it still be possible to just convert back a locally bought import to RHD? My plan is to buy a large amount of property in a province and get some cars to have a bit of fun with. I suppose I should ask, in Australia there is no problem with doing something like that, as long as your not disturbing people. Is it ok here as well?

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob574 View Post
    Opps, Should have mentioned I'm from Australia, so I don't speak much Tagalog. So your saying it's illegal to own a RHD car in the philippines? In Australia you can import a car under a rule for race use only, which means it can never be registered on Australian roads, I was hoping there would be a similar thing here too.

Would it still be possible to just convert back a locally bought import to RHD? My plan is to buy a large amount of property in a province and get some cars to have a bit of fun with. I suppose I should ask, in Australia there is no problem with doing something like that, as long as your not disturbing people. Is it ok here as well?

What car are you thinking of bringing in? You may find some already here...

5. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_gambit View Post
    What car are you thinking of bringing in? You may find some already here...
    Yeah, I noticed there are some here already, and the prices are reasonable. My main concern is I really prefer RHD. In my eyes I can't see any problems having one to use on my own personal property or even on a racetrack. But I guess the laws are very different here to what I'm used to.

From what I can see of the local market, I think a Cefiro and WRX would make the best options. It's a shame you can't import race only imports for cheap, I would have been able to afford more cars that way :p

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009

oops sorry. what i meant was, its illegal here if you drive in rhd. may it be for race purposes only or whatever. bottomline, all imported cars may it be from port irene or shipped directly for personal use must be converted to lhd.

if the car you're about to bring in really means a lot to you, meaning, it has a large amount of sentimental value then its possible to ship several cars here but be reminded that taxes imposed are large. it can be costly.

however if you just want the car because of its specs then the car you might be looking for might be available here locally. its easier because you need not go through all the hassle of converting the car, fixing papers and paying taxes as all are ready for purchase already - sans port irene units which still requires converting the originally rhd to lhd.

there are lots of tracks here in the philippines which is available for use. the most popular ones are the clark international speedway and the batangas racing circuit. sometimes, annual races are made at the said race tracks.

drag racing is also widely done. you can find a few * macapagal avenue & libis areas. however, i am discouraging you to involve yourself in the said races as these are illegal. and if you are caught, our fellow policemen might see an advantage at you since you are a foreigner/balikbayan.

hth.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, I noticed there are some here already, and the prices are reasonable. My main concern is I really prefer RHD. In my eyes I can't see any problems having one to use on my own personal property or even on a racetrack. But I guess the laws are very different here to what I'm used to.

From what I can see of the local market, I think a Cefiro and WRX would make the best options. It's a shame you can't import race only imports for cheap, I would have been able to afford more cars that way :p

I'm afraid our lawmakers minds are not broad enough to differentiate for track use only vehicles. hehehe.

A cefiro would be easy and cheap to procure here, some ranging just around Php 200K... just ship the mod parts from Oz directly here..

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    *Rob574. A lot of cars landing at Port Irene are actually RHD (e.g. cars from Japan), they just get converted there. So if you get to know some people there, maybe they could just skip the conversion for you and you just transport your car to your province.
    BTW. Im moving to Australia and thinking of the same thing because my car here in Germany is LHD. But its not that easy to export a race only car to AU because I would need a PC license for that. DO you have one?
    Just FYI: in RP, foreigners are not allowed to own land beyond 1000sqm, how are you planning to buy a huge property in the province?
    good luck.
    V

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vylkor View Post
    *Rob574. A lot of cars landing at Port Irene are actually RHD (e.g. cars from Japan), they just get converted there. So if you get to know some people there, maybe they could just skip the conversion for you and you just transport your car to your province.
    BTW. Im moving to Australia and thinking of the same thing because my car here in Germany is LHD. But its not that easy to export a race only car to AU because I would need a PC license for that. DO you have one?
    Just FYI: in RP, foreigners are not allowed to own land beyond 1000sqm, how are you planning to buy a huge property in the province?
    good luck.

V
    Baka may " dummy " siya paps.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I asked a friend from one of the local car manufacturers how'd they do it when they brought in FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY a hybrid vehicle that is RHD used in a big motorshow a few years back. He said they were REQUIRED to ask from their HQ in Japan to issue a special request to our local government to allow the bringing in of the said vehicle and attest that it'll only be used for display purposes only and would be returned to Japan after xx days/weeks.

This proves the point of our co-forumers here that it's virtually impossible (for now at least) to bring in a RHD vehicle .... moreso to be run and used.

Yeah, sure is sad Rob. Japan allows LHD vehicles to rome their streets provided the user/owner pay special fees to be allowed to do so. That is why Japs who are seen driving a LHD vehicle (likely an American or European car) are assumed to be "powerful" or "rich".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Importing RHD for race use?