New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Alto is incredibly fuel efficient, and parts are cheap, so it'll be cheaper to run than most... but its small size can be a deterrent to most passengers.

A 1.6 isn't the most practical taxi, but a fuel-inected 1.6 isn't much worse in terms of fuel consumption than a carbureted 1.3, so they're not that bad.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    im seeing that Carens taxi around libis often. and take note that it is not a CRDi variant but a 2.0L MT gasoline variant. not the thriftiest taxi you could get.

sa cagayan de oro, 90% of taxis are current model 1.6E Altises. they believe it's the sturdiest among the options. nice, since in not too long time, they'll soon be shifting 6 speeds. ;)

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you could choose passengers, then the Alto could fit 2 or 3 passengers without bulky cargo. Supposedly, since you're not supposed to choose passengers, Vios or bigger should fit most purposes.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Haven't seen the Carens taxi before. But then passengers pick the best looking taxi they can see, so its always a bonus. But then again, 1.6 liter engines aren't exactly the most fuel efficient ones out there. The Accent is really the best choice, being more powerful than the others in both horsepower AND torque, and is therefore more fuel efficient especially if driven with a light foot. On a side note though, Toyota Taiwan sells a 1.8J variant Altis which is often seen used in cab service, hell I've even seen the Toyota Prius as a cab!

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    The Accent is really the best choice, being more powerful than the others in both horsepower AND torque, and is therefore more fuel efficient especially if driven with a light foot.
    A lot of people say most taxi companies/owners choose Toyotas (Vios and before that the Corolla XL) because you can buy parts (for the engine, suspension etc) anywhere.

Is this also true for the Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio and the current gen Corolla Altis?
    Last edited by AG4; October 22nd, 2010 at 04:21 PM.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    I also seen a Carens one time sa megamall....di ko na matandaan kung kailan...(baka mapagkamalan na FX taxi, hehe)

looks like may kaya yung operator na gawing passenger taxi cab ang 1.6 altis ah....

sa accent naman, bilis nya....one time I rode one of them from LRT buendia-taft going to TM kalaw...wala namang traffic....pero ang bilis din ng metro....umabot ng P70. hmm?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Alto's are not designed to haul many people, actually it is best used for daily driving lang lalo na kung solo ka lang madalas (or 2 kayo) going work-home.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Kala ko namamalikmata lang ako nung nakita ko yung carens sa megamall. I even saw an Aveo sedan na ginawang taxi, around UP ko siya nakita. Pero in Thailand talagang Altis 1.6 ang ginagawang taxo according to my father

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Mas maganda kasi kung Toyota maraming parts at mas mura presyo.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    Mas maganda kasi kung Toyota maraming parts at mas mura presyo.
    Is this also true for the current gen Corolla Altis?

-hubpages.com

-4x4ph.com

What about the Accent and Rio which are also used as taxis?
    Last edited by AG4; October 24th, 2010 at 03:11 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
1.6 Liter Taxi cabs