New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy a 2nd hand opel astra 01. Hope you could add insights positive and/or negative, to help me decide. Baka kasi nabulag lang ako and I think na good deal e.

It is owned by the wife of my bayaw. It has a milage of 43k and according to them matipid naman daw (matic). The only problem they have is the aircon, which they said na adjust nalang yung selling price para mapaayos.

The positive things na naiisip ko are : low price (around 200k lang), well driven (pang leisure drive lang kasi dami nila auto) and madali kong malaman yung service history since in a way family na sila.

Negatives naman : While searching in the forums, MAHAL ang maintenance. (Although reliable yung parts yun talaga yung big factor sakin), few shops aside from casa for repairs (specially computer diagnostics).

Thanks sa mga inputs nyo.

BTW mods kung mali ang forum paki repost nalang (sori 1st post ko) thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My friend also owns an Opel Astra. He said spare parts are indeed pricey. But he said the car has a better longevity (in terms of servicing) compared to his Jap car; he said that this somehow compensates for the high price of the spare parts. He replaced the A/C compressor and distributor mid-2007.

Does the car have a service record? From there you'll see what part/s might be scheduled for replacement in the near future. Also check with GM if they can check-up on the car. Also ask for the price of a new A/C compressor, just to gauge how much you can bargain on the price adjustment.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    thanks for the reply nitrox,

Yup, reliability vs price is what's been nagging in my mind. Pricey parts but majority says that its more durable. Compansates in the end.

the car is casa maintained and I could easily get the service record from them. They had the aircon checked and the estimate is 10k. Forgot all the things that would be replaced.

Might test drive it tom and have the aircon checked in another shop.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    if i were u i'll buy a japanese car

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Love yourself sir. Save yourself from the worries of this type of a car as it will give you tons of headache. My previous office has owned two of those and it stayed in the shop for six months. Also, considering the age of the car, it is about to extinct For the low price, still it is not enough. One last, mahal ang ospital ngayon at mahal ang gamot sa puso

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Sorry for the Jap lovers out there but I'd suggest you give it a shot. The Opel Astra is a pretty good and powerful car. Opels just a need a little more passion and getting used to when being maintained. Come check us out at http://www.clubopelph.com. This is where the Opel owners in the Philippines hang out. Try to post a similar thread there, I'm sure lots of the Opel owners will be able to help you out with your decision.

Yes, some spare parts are indeed a bit pricey and sometimes not immediately available compared to Jap cars, but like what nitrox said, once you replace one part it takes quite a long time since it gets busted again. There are also some people who bring parts it at a cheaper cost. And for the Aircon, there's some good shops around as well which could get it fixed cheaper. There's quite a lot of places and mechanics for repairs, especially those who understand how Euro cars work.

By your description, the car you're planning to buy seems fine. Not all Opels and non-Jap cars are "headaches". For now, checking out the service record and see if there's anything actually alarming with the car (major repairs, mga obvious at paulit ulit na sakit, etc.). Anyway, just my opinion :D Post and read around in clubopelph.com to help you in deciding!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    10K aircon repair is almost similar with the aircon repair of Jap cars.
    iam3739.com

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    i own an opel astra wagon and it's probably the best car i've driven so far (being a previous owner of a civic, corolla and sentra). it has a very solid build just like most german cars and has a very firm suspension (you wont feel the potholes).

my only complain is acceleration is quite sluggish which is understandable since the chassis is quite heavy for a 1.6 engine (esp since my astra is a wagon).

dont mind people saying it will be a headache. any 2nd hand car will be a headache if the 1st owner did not properly maintain it so make sure you check the service records of the car. ok lang kahit di casa maintained coz the casa sucks and it's understandable if the previous owner brings it to another 'talyer' to do maintenance.

i had the same dilemma like you before since a lot of people were discouraging me to get an astra. but after almost a year, i have no regrets.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the info guys,

I really wanted a jap car since mas madali mag mod and I am beginning to get interested in modding cars. But as fate have it na overrule ako ng supreme court (wife). hehehe...

We just bought the car yesterday and I am now getting the feel of a euro car, having mostly driven jap cars.

I'll just enjoy this car for now, but I hope that after a year or two pag bumili ako ng isa pang car ako naman ang masunod

nyway... thans sa replies...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    YOu will now appreciate the practicality of a wagon. I like Astra Wagon, most especially if may cargo cage sa likod.
    iam3739.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Advice on Opel Astra