New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hello All!
    My question is for a (Local) 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.4L. Gas. I`d like to upgrade the standard halogen light bulbs (65w ata yung high beam??) to maybe 90w or 100w halogen bulbs. Its been suggested to me to replace these bulbs with "all weather" Oslo halogen bulbs with relays.

I am just concerned wether the present stock alternator`s amperage rating can handle the added load (as in i wont have problems with the proper charging of the battery). Of course the surer way is to just upgrade with a higher capacity alternator, but then that would be more expensive. What are your experiences with the model terrano i mentioned when upgrading to brighter lights just using the standard 30A (or is it 40A) Bosch relays? Will the relays be enough? Thank You!
    patrick

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In your shoes, i'd go with the relay and wiring upgrade as the more cost-efficient route. Try looking for the NARVA plug and play kits (this is an upgraded wire and relay set) then add ceramic sockets together with a good 90W/100W bulb (i.e. Osram All-Weathers). You may also want to have your headlight cleaned as over the years, dust will seep in and affect the reflectors and mist up the glass. I personally think your stock alternator can still take the upgrade as long as it is done properly and your alternator is in good condition.

If you have the budget then a proper HID retrofit can also work.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In your shoes, i'd go with the relay and wiring upgrade as the more cost-efficient route. Try looking for the NARVA plug and play kits (this is an upgraded wire and relay set) then add ceramic sockets together with a good 90W/100W bulb (i.e. Osram All-Weathers). You may also want to have your headlight cleaned as over the years, dust will seep in and affect the reflectors and mist up the glass. I personally think your stock alternator can still take the upgrade as long as it is done properly and your alternator is in good condition.

If you have the budget then a proper HID retrofit can also work.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hi Vinj!
    I was considering the HID retrofit, but am concerned about reliability and parts availability when doing our yearly vacations to ilocos. Would you know the situation when going up north? How reliable are the "affordable" brands (what would that be?) Thanks for your response.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Vinj!
    I was considering the HID retrofit, but am concerned about reliability and parts availability when doing our yearly vacations to ilocos. Would you know the situation when going up north? How reliable are the "affordable" brands (what would that be?) Thanks for your response.

Terrano 2.4 (Local) headlight upgrade suggestions