New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Hi all. I just sold my car and now on the lookout for a newer family car na A/T naman and preference ko ngayon ay yung 2000 Exalta. May two questions sana ako.

1. May nagustuhan nako na unit ok naman at natest drive ko. wala ako naramdaman or nakitang problem other than yun RPM nya during idle at bumababa sa 500 na parang mamamatayan na. I think yan yung time na nag e-engage yun power steering pump. This will be my first time to buy an AT car and yun seller sabi nya normal lang daw yun sa mga AT cars at idle.

2. San located yun ATF dipstick ng exalta? sabi kasi sa mga naresearch ko about AT cars before buying eh check the ATF baka konti na or black an kulay.

thanks.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    wow my first post since 2005.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Most cars' ATF dipsticks are located within the engine bay; I don't think the Sentra is any exception. A/T cars usually have two dipsticks. The one that isn't close to the engine block or valve cover is most definitely for the ATF.

Regarding the idle drop when turning the steering wheel: That really happens when you're sawing at the wheel back and forth while stationary. However the idle RPM drop should not be so big.

I don't know if this is any valid comparison to the Sentra, but I tried the same thing in my mom's FD Civic and I noticed an idle drop of 300 RPM every time I vigorously turned the wheel while idling the engine.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Your timing could be off by a little.

RPM's should go up when you turn your steering wheel. It takes engine power to run the hydraulics to turn your wheels. Most cars' ECUs crank the engine up to 750rpm's for use of the power steering.Your idle is off by such a small amount and obviously your ECU is operating the way it should.

Possible cause:
    Could it be the idle control valve are going bad- it isn't compensating for the extra load from the power steering.

Maybe you have a problem with the power assisted steering, its draining your power at source, try checking the fluid.

Might be a vaccuum leak somewhere.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    thanks for the replies sirs. I have already decided not to get the exalta. Im a bit turned off with this little idle problem.

RPM drops when steering wheel is turned