New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Need your advise regarding above subject mga bro's.
    Planning to get a used suv with a budget of +/- 500k. Magkano na ba ngayon going rate for the early diesel Gu's. Quick search on sulit, says around 600+ pa ang selling price nito. Gas fed Gu's are around 500k naman. Recently got to know, that the zd30's is a bit of problematic. Are this kind of problems, happening locally? Or australia based engines lang to nangyayari? My understanding is, it has something to do with diesel quality, overboosting and such. Guys, can you enlighten us, about this. =) if theres such issues, can we prevent this from happening? Or parang grenade talaga yung zd30 engine? =)
    About naman sa petrol engine GU, reliability should be good, but FC wise, im guessing malakas sya sa gas. Ang tanong ko mga sir is, gaano sya katakaw sa gas? Baka tipong kelangan, malapit garahe sa gas station. Haha

Advise naman po regarding this. Which should i get. Is the zd30 worth the risk po? Or the tb45 aint that bad with regards to mileage.

And if there are other suv you can recommend, suggest na lang po. (pero gusto ko talaga patrol.. Hehe hinde ko lang kaya yung '05 up series mga sir)

*considering Pajero FM na din siguro..

Salamat mga sir..

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I had a 2002 4500cc gas GU Patrol until I sold it this year. Was very satisfied with this tough truck. I've had many friends who have/had the 3.0 liter diesel variant.

FC - both practically same at 5-6km/l (mix city) 7-9km/l (highway). Of course diesel is cheaper to buy.

Power - gas wins for me, effortless, quick, better choice if unit will be bullet proofed, which my fellow 4500cc owner-friend did to his.

Longevity/maintenance - no contest here. The gas 4500cc wins. Practically bullet proof engine. Read forums both local and foreign especially the Aussie Patrol forums. The ZD30 issues are universal, not isolated to local diesel Patrols.

Two friends with the ZD30 units already had injectors and the turbo replaced after failure. Cost Php300K+++, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, the ZD30 is a ticking time bomb. I don't know if the latest GU Patrol (still ZD30, they're still selling brand new).

Curiously, another friend was on the hunt for a pre-owned diesel and most units he tested had no pulling power - meaning the turbos were already shot and were not replaced by the owners/traders. Tsk tsk tsk. Caveat emptor.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Per discussions on some older threads, it's really best to just avoid the earlier GUs (2001 - 2003/04) due to the problems these first units encountered. Our family has a 2005-06 version and it's already quite reliable with no problems encountered in the likes of the first ones.

If you'll be getting a busted ZD30, get it cheap then swap in a TD42 and turbo it.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Theres a reason why i just leave my 01 gu and prefer to drive around in my 94 toyota. Hehe. Later models are ok.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    So general concensus says, best stay away from the early zd30 Gu's.
    Td42 swap would be nice. But, it could be time consuming, due to parts availability.

Is it advisable to go for the 4500cc gas patrol then?
    Or, just go for the diesel Pajero Fm..

Thanks guys

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you can stomach a FC of 3-4km/L in the city and 6-7km/l on the highway, or if you can find one of those rare Super Safari 4.5L gasoline engined ones (these have a newer engine and are said to be effing fast) and still take the FC then go for it. I also saw a guy who LPG'd his gasoline Patrol; FC was the same but at least the fuel was cheaper. I'm likewise not sure on the availability of engine parts for the gas variants but i do assume Nissan should be stocking them.

Otherwise, the Pajero would be more practical to go with really if you want less headaches and don't have the time to bother on vehicle service too much.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Thats whats keeping me from getting the gas fed patrol. The FC. I initially thought it can stretched to around 9's at least on highwys, but seems otherwise.

Looks like i gotta get a Paj. Though tjis might be bit Ot, ill ask anyway.
    Comparatively, the pajero Gen 2 and Pajero fieldmaster, which one is more recommended. Considering all factors, if you guys dont mind.
    Thanks

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Go for the 2.8L at the least. Better oomph and you can get an auto transmission. If you're going for the 95-98 models with the 2.5L engine, you're much better off with a Safari.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    So this thread went from patrols to Pajero's na sir. =)
    Heres the options if ever sir:
    With the 97-98 Paj, ill have extra money to get some upgrades. ( kindly suggest the essential mods sir)

Or a stock 2.8 fieldmaster..

Which one to choose. =)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I had a 96 Paj, it was slow as hell but it was reliable. Nothing major broke on that thing.

The hospital of my friend has a Paj FM in the fleet. Despite zero maintenace, it just keeps going.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast