New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Greetings….

Just wanted to share with you a , and I would appreciate if any of you or anyone you know have had the same experience.

I have a 2005 Nissan Sentra GSX. For the past several months I have not been using it as much as I wanted to limit the kilometer reading as I was planning to sell it. Last October 13, 2009 while I was on my way out of my house to use another car, and while my Sentra was parked in my covered garage, we heard a small explosion coming from the garage. As we looked around on what could have caused the explosion. We where surprised that the rear windshield of the Sentra had a big hole on it and the whole rear windshield shattered.

My first impression that something hit the car that made a big hole, when we where certain that no one could have thrown anything at it nor anything could have fallen, I looked back at the windshield and was surprised that the glass portion of the hole was intact – OUTSIDE THE CAR. Checking closely I noticed that a relatively large number of shattered glass where also OUTSIDE THE CAR. Checking the backseats, there where a few bits of shattered glass but not as much as the ones found outside the car.

The large portion of the glass was right at the bottom of the rear windshield like it just slid off the lower part of the rear windshield (pictured where everything was after the incident)

(view pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/rene149/...ingWindshield#)

I also did not find any explosive materials inside the car cabin, no canisters or anything. The weather that day was cloudy and cool. Definitely no one was inside since the car was LOCKED. Checking the large part of broken glass, there was also no trace of anything that could it that hard to do such damage, as there would have been a scratch or some evidence it there was.

As you look at the pictures, you will notice that the budge on the windshield coming from the hole is in an OUTWARD direction. I can only assume that the windshield gave way and just simply exploded FROM THE INSIDE-OUT—question is HOW and WHY? IS THIS A FACTORY DEFECT of this model?

I am also a car enthusiast and have owned a number of vehicles in throughout my years, and never have I experienced this. I have also worked with two very large vehicle service companies for several years and I have even did business with insurance companies but I have not heard of something like this. Unfortunately, because of the slow down in business late last year I did not have my insurance renewed this year.

Any suggestions from the group how this thing happened? What are my options, asides from shouldering the cost of a new windshield?

Can you also direct me to any other groups where I can post this? I just wanted to get some opinions and similar experiences if any. Thanks!

More power to the group!

-ReneC
    Quezon City

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Maybe naiwan mo naka ON yung heater mo sir sa windshield then naka rekta yung heater mo sir sa battery. Kaya sya nag explode or pumutok.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    My wild guess is that the switch for the rear defogger somehow shorted and it activated the defogger which emits heat. Pair that with the closed cabin and we got ourselves a small oven.

Just a wild guess.

I guess.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thanks for the input!

Could be... but as you know the climate control is off when the switch is off... Shorted.... maybe....but if that's the case since I have not used the car for 2 weeks prior to the incident, the battery should have been drained. Battery is over a year old.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    i had experienced this , sir may parking po ba un car niu??? and meaning 5yo. po nacia with u same with me if constant heating and cooling of windshield will affect the solid density of the mirror sir hindi lang po kau nkaexperience nia even me, what happened is i always use my car remember that in mm the temp is 30c, this is the explanation to this constant heating of mirror surface may be the cause of ur crack windshield remember glass can be transform to liquid to solid, thus glass windshield when heated un solid particles nia expands when solid expands it emits gas which is can cause hot temp inside car cabin or heated or hot windshield surface what u had experience is sublimation perse pansinin niu un maga natira na broken glass sa windshield maliliit un broken glass or creases. and un mga glass particles nia maliit i had experience this from hot sunny day bigla umulan my car is 7yo older tas bigla ngcrack cia then suddenly my windshield broke into pieces.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    sir not factory deffect ....... talaga ganun lang talaga or baka po nkatira kau sa humid place thats why po

7. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    in fairness po sa nissan ok naman cia what happen to u parang asa wear and tear po.... un nga lang ngaun sobra ngkakaubusan ng parts

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Pinakamaganda kung nakaparked naman sa covered garage kotse mo maglagay ka na lang ng puwang sa bintana para lumabas ang init sa loob lalo na pag nakabilad sasakyan mo sa araw.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my guess is, it's a factory defect.
    contrary to common knowledge, glass is supercooled liquid. and tempered glass is supercooled liquid under pressure. prone to shattering. no need for something to hit the glass. it's a time bomb waiting to explode from the time lt left the factory. and it's really relatively common.
    insurance will probably cover it. and don't you believe them when they say it's an act of God.
    by the way, ang hirap talaga basahin ang message na may napakaraming "shortcut". ano ba yang ginagamit niya, cellphone? heh heh.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Thanks again for your inputs...

and again, it could be... but the car is parked in my covered garage, not used and not moved in two weeks, except when I decide to clean it. It was also cloudy and cool day that day.... it would be difficult to accept that it was caused by changes in temperature, pressure and weather. I even remembering opening the door the day before to take out one of the CD's from inside. So pressure could not have built up since it was night when I opened it and the weather next morning was cloudy- and it was covered parking.

I know how much heat and pressure can be generated inside the car if parked under very hot conditions, it can reach over 70degrees.

I dont beleive there where cracks on it since I cleaned it over the weekend where it was parked, and I would have noticed it if there was.

Dr.d, I am sure insurance will cover it, unfortunately this was the year I did not have it insured...

Funny btw, how each Nissan dealer have thier own price list... went to 3 already and it ranged from 12k++ to 17k++ only for the windshield. You may even be surprised who was the cheapest!

Replacement cost around 7k++, but this does not come with a defogger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Nissan sentra !exploding! Winshield