New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Hi Folks,

Since I bought my pre-owned sentra (B14) in 2003, I have been experiencing AC issue, i.e. compressor clutch disengages prematurely esp. when stuck in traffic or idling the car with AC on for a long time, hence causing the RPM to rise to ~1800. Then after a while (about 4-8mins), magnetic clutch will engage all by itself again. Now it's 2010, i'm still using the car and the problem still exists, considering over the past 7 years, i've almost checked and replaced every AC part suggested by 4 different AC shops (including a Nissan Dealer) - compressor (x3), condenser, filter, expansion valve, thermostat, aux fan motor, fan blades, evaporator and other cleaning services. What's left to be replaced are high pressure cut-off switch, relay, AC dial knob, electrical wire/connectors and aluminum tubes. But i'm not replacing/checking any of these anytime soon as I don't feel there's something wrong with any of them

Anyways, last week my battery went dead and couldn't start the car. I found out that it was my mistake to replace the battery when I bought a new one and gone dead again after 3 days of using the car. I checked the alternator voltage reading (<12V) and it didn't look charging. So I replaced it with a surplus alternator. As I'm a bit skeptical whether everything is OK even after replacing batt and alternator, I frequently check voltage reading at the batt terminals using DVOM.

I'm a bit surprised when I did the check with car engine hot and AC is turned on, voltage drops gradually (~8-10 mins) from 13.75V to 13.08V. Headlights and stereo don't cause this much of voltage drop, let alone not gradual but instant drop of about ~0.2V. My suspect would be electrical components: magnetic coil, aux and rad fan motors, and AC blower motor. Turns out, looks like the aux and rad fan motors are causing the issue - with the AC off and engine idle for long, CTS (coolant temp sensor) senses high temp and turns on both fan motors and i took the reading.

So, I think that the cause of my AC clutch disengaging prematurely is voltage dropping too low for the magnetic coil to hold the clutch, especially if the AC is ON for a long time. My question - what could be wrong with my fan motors as they seem to eat up the voltages (probably too hot and the resistance drops (?)). Or is this a voltage issue to begin with?

Any ideas or similar experience? Need your expert advice pls

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Same problem with my series 3 sana may matulungan nyo po kami hirap kapag traffic at kainitan ng araw mamamatay aircon then tataas ang rpm to1800. Need you help mga guru..TIA.

Nissan Sentra B14 AC or Electrical Problem