New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2008
    Nissan recalls nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100303...nyrecallnissan

1 hr 39 mins ago
    TOKYO (AFP) – Japan's Nissan Motor said Wednesday it would recall nearly 540,000 vehicles worldwide, most of them in the United States, due to brake pedal defects and faulty fuel gauges.
    Nissan, Japan's third-largest carmaker and partnered with France's Renault, said it plans "to inspect and, if necessary, repair brake pedal pins and fuel-gauge components on certain trucks and minivans."
    "No accidents or injuries have been reported with these issues," it added.
    The recalls also affect Canada, Mexico, the Middle East, Ukraine, Russia and Taiwan, Nissan North America said in a statement.
    The models with faulty brake pedals are the Titan pickup trucks, the Armada and Infiniti QX56 SUVs and Quest minivans built between 2008 and 2010, the company said, adding that it would pull 178,916 units from US roads.
    The company said there had been three reported cases of brake pedal pins loosening and causing problems with braking.
    A Nissan spokesman said a manufacturing error on the part of the supplier, Paris-based Inergy Automotive Systems, was the root cause.
    The faulty fuel gauge recall covers the Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56 built from 2005 to 2008, and the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra produced between January and March 2006 and between October 2007 and January 2008.
    "Vehicles at higher mileage levels may have fuel gauges which incorrectly indicate the amount of fuel in the tank. This may result in the vehicle running out of fuel while the gauge reads greater than empty," Nissan said.
    The action follows recalls by the world's largest carmaker, Toyota, whose faulty accelerator and braking systems have been blamed for 52 deaths in the US, prompting its president to apologise before US lawmakers. Related article: Toyota fixing 1.3 million vehicles over oil leak
    Honda, Japan's second-biggest carmaker, just three weeks ago recalled more than 400,000 vehicles to fix airbags, saying that they could explode and spray out potentially deadly metal shards.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 3rd, 2010 at 07:02 PM. Reason: quoting

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    no alarm here. Brakes will still work, but some milliseconds later before they start taking effect. On the other hand, the fuel gauge, it is one of the 'technological glitches' in old cars. And I tell you, there are more old cars out there showing more than just some fuel reading error.

GM, Honda, Nissan and soon, more car companies will start to 'recall' or should I say, recheck, their cars. Mainly to the reasons:

1) They learned a principle from Toyota's downfall: Check cars regularly.
    2) Better safe than sorry
    3) Recalls = safer cars
    lastly,
    4) To go under Toyota's shadow and go unnoticed with their own 'recalls' since most of them are of less magnitude.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    my nissan had a recall before this whole toyota thing happened it was about the airbag sensor rusting. The good thing was they acted before an accident happens.

my problem now is the fuel sending unit. My trucks production is Aug08 but I see some people that has a production date later than Jan08 that is having issues on FSU.

The faulty fuel gauge recall covers the Titan, Armada and Infiniti QX56 built from 2005 to 2008, and the Frontier, Pathfinder and Xterra produced between January and March 2006 and between October 2007 and January 2008.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fierari View Post
    my nissan had a recall before this whole toyota thing happened it was about the airbag sensor rusting. The good thing was they acted before an accident happens.

my problem now is the fuel sending unit. My trucks production is Aug08 but I see some people that has a production date later than Jan08 that is having issues on FSU.
    Did you read the thread on TheNewX.org about the recall? The letter should be coming sometime this month and if you haven't received it by April 2 just have your dealer check your vin number on the computer. I just hope they include the 2005 since that was the 1st year of the 2nd gen Xterra and my FSU is already acting up, gauge moves slowly when refueled and stalls at about 3/4 or a bit above the line. Glad I hadn't done this yet since I was waiting for the OBDII code to pop up before doing the repair.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i haven't seen the exact thread do you have a link? so what happens when you have your FSU fixed from your own pocket? will you get a refund? cause my uncle's pathy was fixed but at his own expense last year.

i wonder if the navara's in PH are affected hmmmmmmmmm

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    If your uncle still has the receipt he files it with Nissan Consumer Affairs in Canada and they reimburse him his money. Jerseyparts posted it on the Nissanonlineparts.com section, he said the dealership he works at received notice already and the letters for the vehicle should be coming out this month. Here is the link to the thread http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26017

The FSU is a known problem that has been around for years, I just hope they start doing the same for the rear diff and the radiator problem. Who knows maybe because of the Toyota fiasco they will fix everything now because prior to the Toyota fiasco Nissan always stated that the FSU was not a safety issue that's why all they did was a TSB and not a recall.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    is there a problem with our rear diff? I was praying for the timing chain and the radiator :D thanks for the link. i hope they also change the front diff to a titan swap lol

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fierari View Post
    is there a problem with our rear diff? I was praying for the timing chain and the radiator :D thanks for the link. i hope they also change the front diff to a titan swap lol
    Some rear diff have broken for no reason just street driving but that was the M226 and I know of only one C200K that broke. Nissan basically under engineered the parts they went with a smaller gear set 226mm and 200mm, 180mm for the front. With the old models when they had weaker motors with less torque and horsepower they used bigger gear sets, 233mm rear and 200mm front. Why they went smaller after increasing power is something people have been trying to figure out. Personally I think they should have stuck with the old H233B in the rear and used the M205 in the front.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Just as I thought, the Big 3 Japanese car makers worldwide- Toyota, Nissan, and Honda, are now all involved in recalls.

But the worse victim of this is not Toyota w/ 9 million recalls... not even Nissan or Honda w/ each having 500k recalls.. but the consumers, especially those who are victims of certain accidents, some even lives are lost e.g runaway Lexus. Hope after the storm, everybody will learn from it.

Nissan Recall