New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    my nissan gu 03 has trouble going uphill lately. sabi ng casa no probs naman. when going uphill nabibitin ( losses power/ stalls ) parang nalulunod. casa said maf sensor pero ganun parin after the cleaning. highway driving no prob naman. anu kaya prob?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If MAF sensor yan, the check engine in your instrument panel should light up. Baka may leak ang intercooler mo or there's a problem with the turbo. Ano pala Patrol mo, A/T or M/T?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the MAF is okay, I'd look at the turbo also (esp. if you have not been religious in cooling it down after driving). Was the filters (fuel and air) and the injection pump checked as well.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    no engine lights kaka check lang sa casa they "cleaned the maf na DAW" i think nagka intercooler leak nato noon cuz may parng ceramic cement sealant linagay sa sides. ill upload pics later. weird e nabibitin uphill 1st gear pati reverse (i.e. underground parking then you have to exit by reverse ksi masikip)

specific scenario:

trying to get the patrol up the curb kelangan may bwelo. if its at a standstill (i.e. nakadikit yng car sa curb , neutral, then engage the drive, car wont get up the curb. no reving sound whatsover pa. it just stands there. todo tapak na ,floored. so if its up a hill, kapag steep incline de talaga gagalaw. cant believe casa missed this

from what i read and your recommendations likely culprits are:

1. MAF sensor - no problem naman kapag sa highway? how do you check if this is busted other than the engine light?
    2. turbo/intercooler - will check the casa records on this.
    3. carbon/ oil build up sa intakes n stuff - no idea if casa even cleans this

uhhh ohhh turbo cooldown? ****...driver kasi gumagamit e lately ko lang inaasikaso
    A/T 3.0 d
    Last edited by fibzzz; April 11th, 2008 at 11:55 PM. Reason: updated testing

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If the MAF is busted, you're top speed will be limited to around 100-110km/h, and you'll emit black smokes.

The cleaning of the intake manifolds is not part of the PMS of the Patrol. You should request for this to be included in their job order when you'll have your regular PMS done.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ok boybi im starting to think your right about the MAF sensor being busted. although my engine lights dont turn on. my friends patrol has the same problem as mine kaya lng mas malala na kanya. his patrol exhibits the symptoms you stated

" If the MAF is busted, you're top speed will be limited to around 100-110km/h, and you'll emit black smoke."

mine wala pa naman black smoke and sa highway ok pa just uphill probs.

both of our patrols experience significant power loss whenever the aircon is switched on. no power na nga as is, nabawasan pa.

can i switch MAF sensors with a good patrol? to test if its busted talaga? is it as simple as plug n play? i tried pulling out the MAF by unscrewing the 2 star screws pero parang its glued? or do i have to pull harder

btw how much is a new MAF?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, you can try other Patrol's MAF sensor. Just pull harder and it will come off. Cost of new MAF sensors in dealers is around 8K++.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    ok not the MAF ata. i just swapped MAFs with another patrol still the same. mine wont go uphill the other patrol using my MAF still has no problem whatsoever. im stumped. tried reseting the car din disconnected the car battery then reconnected it. same parin. ewan ko na...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have your turbo checked and also your intercooler for leaks. What's the odometer reading of your Patrol, maybe there's also something wrong with your transmission or torque converter.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    it reads 56k. ok will have it checked sa casa for those. will update what happens after.

on a side note is it possible that the intakes or exhaust are clogged up with carbon deposits? or de naman ganun ka grabe magiging effect

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Nissan GU 03 problem going uphill