New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Hi!
    My old nissan eccs has a problem with the electronic box....it's been a month now since the check engine light is on, palayado ang andar, maitiim ang usok, malakas sa gas...anong gagawin ko.....and where to bring except sa casa?
    i heard mura na lang daw ang surplus na box...would u know where i can buy?
    thanks!!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug View Post
    Hi!
    My old nissan eccs has a problem with the electronic box....it's been a month now since the check engine light is on, palayado ang andar, maitiim ang usok, malakas sa gas...anong gagawin ko.....and where to bring except sa casa?
    i heard mura na lang daw ang surplus na box...would u know where i can buy?
    thanks!!
    How sure are you that the ECM is faulty? You'll need a mechanic with an ECM diagnostic scanner to pull out the diagnostic trouble code (DTC). The DTC would indicate what's wrong with the engine. Replacing the ECM at this point won't guarantee the problems will be cured.

Anyway, this is clearly an emissions problem. The ECM will generate a CEL whenever the sensor readings are out of bounds or the sensor itself is busted. Usually, the ECM will switch over to "limp" mode to keep the engine running, just enough to get you to a mechanic or service station. In limp mode, the engine is running rich in gasoline while the ECM disregards whatever reading it's getting from the emission sensors and instead, uses a pre-stored map. Probably why there's a lot of black smoke.

If I were you, casa is your best bet to resolve this. A mechanic without a scanner will just be working blind. And besides, you need the scanner to turn off/reset the CEL.

Nissan eccs computer box problem...need help