New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hi guys! i just bought a 98 cefiro. It went thru a general checkup at Nissan and they told me that i would have to replace all 6 the ignition coils. Do I really have to do this or can i just replace those which are failing? Can anyone recommend a good car shop that can give me a second opinion and do this service including tune up? thanks a lot

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    SPEEDLAB http://www.speedlab.com.ph/

SPEEDYFIX http://www.speedyfixph.com/

Check their websites for address and contact info.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jgn2009 View Post
    Hi guys! i just bought a 98 cefiro. It went thru a general checkup at Nissan and they told me that i would have to replace all 6 the ignition coils. Do I really have to do this or can i just replace those which are failing? Can anyone recommend a good car shop that can give me a second opinion and do this service including tune up? thanks a lot
    Get a second opinion. My brother was "recommended" for a service job at Honda Shaw which would have costed nearly P30,000 (parts & labor) because of a minor overheat problem. At Speedyfix, the source of the problem was found to be a leaky by-pass hose and a failing radiator fan motor. Total bill at Speedyfix was just over P2K including labor.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This is the first time i hear of the DI coils needing replacement... Why did they diagnose such? With the Cefiro i'd be more worried about leaking gaskets actually.

For the tune-up, you can go to other shops like Speedyfix, Autotechnika, Speedlab... Just buy the proper plugs as recommended by the manual. FYI, the stock NGK double platinum plugs (PFR something) on the Cefiro are good for 80,000kms to 100,000kms.

Try to use 95 octane fuel as well since the Cefiro VQ20 is picky when it comes to fuel (Petron XCS is what i'd recommend).
    Last edited by vinj; July 1st, 2009 at 08:53 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    may nararamdaman k naman bang sira sa kotse mo? You said that you went to Nissan for general check-up lang. Kung wala ka namang nararamdamang sira ay better get second or third opinion before replacing the ignition coils.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Get a second opinion. My brother was "recommended" for a service job at Honda Shaw which would have costed nearly P30,000 (parts & labor) because of a minor overheat problem. At Speedyfix, the source of the problem was found to be a leaky by-pass hose and a failing radiator fan motor. Total bill at Speedyfix was just over P2K including labor.
    Thanks. I will try to go to speedyfix this weekend. maybe they can give me an honest opinion. Nissan quoted me 41k for the job. They also quoted me 30k for suspension works but when i brought it to cruven it cost me only P4.4k. grabe no! I'm sure speedyfix can do better. thanks ghosthunter!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    This is the first time i hear of the DI coils needing replacement... Why did they diagnose such? With the Cefiro i'd be more worried about leaking gaskets actually.

For the tune-up, you can go to other shops like Speedyfix, Autotechnika, Speedlab... Just buy the proper plugs as recommended by the manual. FYI, the stock NGK double platinum plugs (PFR something) on the Cefiro are good for 80,000kms to 100,000kms.

Try to use 95 octane fuel as well since the Cefiro VQ20 is picky when it comes to fuel (Petron XCS is what i'd recommend).
    thanks vinj. started using Petron XCS. I'm really surprised why they want to change all the coils. they recommended though to change the valve cover gasket and all bypass hoses even if there was no leak. Will drop by speedyfix this weekend to have the car checked. thanks again

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jgn2009 View Post
    Thanks. I will try to go to speedyfix this weekend. maybe they can give me an honest opinion. Nissan quoted me 41k for the job. They also quoted me 30k for suspension works but when i brought it to cruven it cost me only P4.4k. grabe no! I'm sure speedyfix can do better. thanks ghosthunter!

lupet ng difference sa suspension works ah. hehehehe.
    yung sa akin bago lahat ng suspension mechanisms, 8k lang inabot...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksun25 View Post
    may nararamdaman k naman bang sira sa kotse mo? You said that you went to Nissan for general check-up lang. Kung wala ka namang nararamdamang sira ay better get second or third opinion before replacing the ignition coils.
    wala nga akong nararamdaman sa car kaya ako nagulat sa recommendation ng nissan. they recommended to change the ignition coils but hindi sila nagrecommend palitan ang spark plugs and belts. will get a second opinion this weekend. thanks blacksun25.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    lupet ng difference sa suspension works ah. hehehehe.
    yung sa akin bago lahat ng suspension mechanisms, 8k lang inabot...
    Nissan (and other casa brands) has to make money eh... aside from selling cars, they make lots of money from charging unsuspecting car owners an arm and a leg for replacement parts and labor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast