New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Good day to everyone. We wanted to ask for inputs on what to do regarding our old nissan sentra box type diesel engine. This is a first-owned car with a sentimental value. It's not running already but with a very fresh specs inside/out as the current user (my brother in law) used to be an automotive mechanic. It so happened that it is a 20+ year old car and that maybe the engine really has made to a point that it bugged down. We really wanted the engine to be overhauled coz based on my research,it is cheaper and less hassle since we no longer have to work on changing the papers but our dilemma: availability of parts and price. So maybe there are owners of this type of vehicle who have recently overhauled their engine whom i would like to ask where he gets all the necessary parts needed for an overhaul.

We also consider engine swapping to a gas engine, a friend of the user found a surplus b12 engine somewhere in bulacan and it cost 25k (excluding labor). Is the price ok? Another problem is the car was not registered for the last 2 years going 3 this year (july is the renewal month) so there'll be an additional cost of an estimated 10k for the registration and another for the labor, so possibly the expense could go as 40-50k that is why we do prefer the overhaul. Btw, if restored the car will be used personally and not to be sold. I was hoping of spending under 40k only.

Thank you in advance tsikot.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkyle View Post
    Good day to everyone. We wanted to ask for inputs on what to do regarding our old nissan sentra box type diesel engine. This is a first-owned car with a sentimental value. It's not running already but with a very fresh specs inside/out as the current user (my brother in law) used to be an automotive mechanic. It so happened that it is a 20+ year old car and that maybe the engine really has made to a point that it bugged down. We really wanted the engine to be overhauled coz based on my research,it is cheaper and less hassle since we no longer have to work on changing the papers but our dilemma: availability of parts and price. So maybe there are owners of this type of vehicle who have recently overhauled their engine whom i would like to ask where he gets all the necessary parts needed for an overhaul.

We also consider engine swapping to a gas engine, a friend of the user found a surplus b12 engine somewhere in bulacan and it cost 25k (excluding labor). Is the price ok? Another problem is the car was not registered for the last 2 years going 3 this year (july is the renewal month) so there'll be an additional cost of an estimated 10k for the registration and another for the labor, so possibly the expense could go as 40-50k that is why we do prefer the overhaul. Btw, if restored the car will be used personally and not to be sold. I was hoping of spending under 40k only.

Thank you in advance tsikot.
    sIR, pardon me, but is there any possibility of selling it?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You have a rare gem there Sir. Very good project to restore. Though 40k may not be enough.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You have a rare gem there Sir. Very good project to restore. Though 40k may not be enough.