New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I got a 01 exalta STA a few weeks ago and i need some help.
    its almost 90Tkms but it has a flawless body. everything works exept for the phone handsfree (pioneer na kasi ang HU) and the power antenna.
    had it tuned up and replaced front bearings at ziebart and aircon cleaned at ceejays.

Here are my few concerns:

1. acceleration is really really slow (sa inclines i have to rev hard) and fuel consumption is really high (7.5km/l). i currently use shell unleaded 93 octane. (pero nakalagay sa instrumentation na 95 octane unleaded ang kailangan) if i use 95 octane (or v-power) will it make acceleration better or give me better milage? mahal kasi ng v-power, 4 bucks more than 93 octane. so thats 12% more by price, but would it give me 12% more milage?

2. I cleaned the instrumentation guages (baklas, linis, palit bulbs) but i unintentionally moved the gas needle. so ngayon pag full tank, ang needle nandun sa kataas taas, while pag empty na ang tank, nasa half tank yung needle. pero umiilaw naman yung low fuel warning light pag low fuel na talaga. I tried putting the needle down by hand but it still goes up. what can i do to correct this?

3. the shocks are way too soft. dont know if its wear and tear or if its really like that. some of the bushings need replacement also (and may konting kabig) and nag pa quote na ako sa zafra. should i get gas shocks na also para sabay na sa bushings and alignment? what shocks would you recommend na hindi naman super mahal pero tama lang to stiffen up the ride a bit but not too jarring. just want a quiet and comfy ride na no kalampag.

4. aside from zafra, sino pa ba magaling sa suspension, located somewhere south para di masyadong malayo. i need kasi a 2nd opinion and estimate.

guys, let me know what you think. thanks!

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    1. is it AT? have you check the AT fluid? search some threads here about taking care of AT. i have a 2001 exalta gs, yes the acceleration is slow but not in your case. i use the petron xcs which is 95 octane rating, same with the Vpower but with the price of a premium. dont ever use the e10, i have a friend and used the e10 on his granduer, ayun nagtiope ang makina.

2. no answer, di ko pa nagagawa e. baka some guys have done it.

3. when i bought my exalta few months ago, i changed all the shocks, yun mura lang binili ko, i put the zeon gas shock, so far ok pa naman, meron warranty na 3 mos. kaya lang wala pa ko 3mos.. (wag sana).

4. pasensya na east area ako. gawa ko kasi, pagnagpachange oil ako sa gasolinahan, pinapacheck ko na din pang ilalim, tapos tip na lang dun sa mekaniko para lahat check nya (habang nakataas). katulad mo punta din sa mga shop na katulad ni zafra, then compare if it has the same findings bili ng parts at pagawa ko sa kapitbahay namin na mekaniko (wala kasi lifter).

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In the south, try to search up the address of JP Wheels in Paranaque (or they moved to LasPinas?). Was happy with their price and services before (had 4 cars fixed there before and they got rid of all my underchassis gremlins in the first try). On the shocks, go for the KYB Excel G gas shocks if you want the ride to be a little firmer (no worry, it wont be bone jarring hard).

The Exalta is really sluggish due to the added weight and the emission restrictions; if you want to improve the performance, i'd suggest you change to a free flow intake and headers. Did this on my Sentra with a similar GA16 engine and i was happy with the outcome.

E10 from Petron is 95 octane, you can try that. On a sidenote, the Exalta Grandeur has a finicky MAF sensor, tell your friend to clean it with some electric contact cleaner and the tope will go away and his performance will improve drastically if this has never been done.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    E10 from Petron is 95 octane, you can try that. On a sidenote, the Exalta Grandeur has a finicky MAF sensor, tell your friend to clean it with some electric contact cleaner and the tope will go away and his performance will improve drastically if this has never been done.
    i dont know petron has e10, under what name? i was thinking shell e10 which is 93 octane. it was engine pinging due to usage of lower octane gasoline, it was casa's finding.

when i bought mine, i was in the thinking that i could use the shell e10, newer engine, newer technology (than carb engine) and could take ethanol blend gasoline, so less cost on gasoline. then i ask my friend on what tips he could give, from the start until now he has the granduer, and one thing that he insist not on doing is using the e10, cause he spend alot after trying it.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I have one more problem i just recently noticed.

I was driving along STAR in batangas doing 100kph and i noticed white smoke coming out from the tailpipe. when i slowed down, nawala. when I got home, i revved the car, clear naman yung exhaust. so i thought parang wala naman. then 2 days ago i was in skyway, same thing happened. white smoke coming out of the exhaust at around 100kph * 3k RPM. then i noticed when i filled up gas yesterday i only got 6.5km/L (276kms/42L)

kaka tune up lang naman nitong april. it only comes out when i'm around 100kph. HELP!

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    As per your original questions:

The Exalta STA's stock shocks are soft... really soft... but if it's soft to the point of bottoming out, then you might as well change them for something newer.

The STA has a sticker (when new) recommending 95 Octane. It's a vtc engine (with cam phasing, I believe, on the intake) and supposedly makes more power than the older GA16s... power which is completely sapped away by the sluggish automatic, the powerful aircon compressor and the heavy body of the car. Yes, it really is slow as dogs. We always used 95 on ours, but there's no real harm in using 93 unless it starts pinging. You can always retune the distributor advance so you can use lower octane gasoline... but you have to disconnect the TPS when doing this, as the car adjusts to manual turning of the distributor, to the point that you won't see an effect at all if you try to do this otherwise. There used to be lots of info on this online at sentra.net, but sadly, the site is now dead.

-

White smoke at 3k at 100 km/h... it won't do this while you're in the garage and you rev it? It's likely related to load rather than revs... does it smoke when you gas it up parking ramps? Be sure it's just white and not bluish... bluish smoke means something nasty. I'd go with MAF cleaning, as per vinj's suggestion, as that's one of the finickiest parts of the Exalta's sensor array. And check to see if your car is drinking water or oil (only check oil when the engine is cool and the car is sitting level).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    hey niky. thanks for your input. had an RS almost a 2 years ago, sold it when gas reached almost P60. damn i miss that car. you even helped me out with some of my questions before for that car.

the white smoke only comes out at high speed (100kph is high na for the STA). do you think it has something to do with the variable valve timing, like pag nag palit na yung cam profile, it alters the fuel air mixture (too rich).

the shocks tend to bottom out when i have 3 people at the back. may ibang thread na you mentioned some gas shock that starts with a P. cant find that thread anymore eh. sorry.

thanks again for your input.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I do have problem also in my 2000 exalta w/ 68000km.

1. I used to send it to casa for PMS, but recently, i opted to a car shop for tuneup, change oil, etc. After 3000km, i observed a strong engine vibration during low rev & idling only. Is this due to MAF sensor? Is there any good shop somewhere in the south (alabang) that i can send this? If i'll do it myself, where is the MAF sensor located?

2. The passenger door lock mechanism is not functioning. I was told in a car shop in alabang that I need to replace all doors lock system w/ universal one (cost is P1500). Does anyone here tried to replace their central lock system?

3.I have a mannix car alarm system installed, there is an intermittent malfunction of lock/unlock of the central lock system. During the occurence, i can hear the switching of relays fast on the mannix cpu. Has anyone experienced this?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by emghie View Post
    3. when i bought my exalta few months ago, i changed all the shocks, yun mura lang binili ko, i put the zeon gas shock, so far ok pa naman, meron warranty na 3 mos. kaya lang wala pa ko 3mos.. (wag sana).
    Emghie, how much inabot yung zeon shocks including installation? where did you get them? i dont want to install expensive shocks coz i only plan to keep the car for a year or so. how's the ride so far?

if i replace shocks, do i need to replace the springs also?

10. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwisha View Post
    Emghie, how much inabot yung zeon shocks including installation? where did you get them? i dont want to install expensive shocks coz i only plan to keep the car for a year or so. how's the ride so far?

if i replace shocks, do i need to replace the springs also?
    i bought the shocks from reggie of banawe auto supply, he is also a member here. i dont know if i can post the price here. but its 1/2 cheaper compared to kyb. paid 600 for the installation, though sa mekaniko ko na kakilala.

for the ride, ok naman. di na nasasagad yun likod kahit puno. comfy pa rin.
    worry ko lang nun una baka nga bumigay ng maaga, kasi sa kyb naranasan ko 1 week palang tagas (set, rear). sa zeon meron naman 3mos warranty, pero sabi ni reggie tatagal naman daw ng 2-3years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast