New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Good day experts! My car is a 1999 nissan sentra series 3 A/T. About 2 weeks ago, I checked its spark plugs to see if they're already due for replacement but I forgot to put back 1 of the high tension wire boots resulting in the car's abnormal idling and loss of power. After I changed the spark plugs, the car functioned normally for more than a week.

Until I noticed that the car's engine was "choking", so I had it checked by a mechanic who diagnosed that the compressor's pulley is not in proper alignment anymore causing the engine to choke. He replaced the compressor's pulley and belt. The car seems to function well at this time.

But after I brought the car home, I noticed that it's engine has some sort of "skip beats". I checked the spark plug wires and I found out that one of the boots is damaged. So i changed it with a Mallory brand "replacement" high tension wire, whose cable's diameter is a little bigger compared to the original part. Despite this replacement, I still notice occasional "skip beats".

My car's fuel filter is newly replaced and the spark plugs are new as well. What could be the cause of the "skip beats"? Could the diameter of the cable be the culprit?

Looking forward to your expert opinions. Thanks!
    Last edited by zenrem; June 12th, 2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: addl details

2. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    What do you mean skipping a beat? Misfire, timing, fueling? I suggest you bring it it a good mechanic and test drive the w/ him.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sounds like a misfire. isa isahin tangalin mga high tension wire. kung hindi nagiba tunog paghugot, yun ang prob. then see if there is spark on the boot. kung meron, spark plug is not functioning.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Check if the sparkplugs are gapped correctly.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Hi godzirra, archie and oj88! Thank you for your reply.

I dont know if it's a misfire or timing problem. It seems like a "hiccup". I also noticed that my car consumes more fuel than usual.

I'll ask my mechanic to consider your suggestions. I just hope that it's not a serious problem in servo or throttle body. I heard Sentra's brand new servo costs more than 37k.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrem View Post
    Hi godzirra, archie and oj88! Thank you for your reply.

I dont know if it's a misfire or timing problem. It seems like a "hiccup". I also noticed that my car consumes more fuel than usual.

I'll ask my mechanic to consider your suggestions. I just hope that it's not a serious problem in servo or throttle body. I heard Sentra's brand new servo costs more than 37k.
    Yeah Nis parts are a bit expensive than other brands. But you can always go the surplus route.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GodziRRa! View Post
    Yeah Nis parts are a bit expensive than other brands. But you can always go the surplus route.
    Expensive but per experience, they do last long.

Try also placing OEM spark plug wires if you can borrow from another GA engine. Had a similar problem on our Galant before and changing the plug wires (with brand new, OEM) cured it. The "skip beat" is where the car is idling perfectly then there's an intermittent, quick "palya" (with no idle drop) right?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    arrhythmia? with the car's age, there should already have some water in the fuel tank from condensation. if this is the case, give it a dose of a cup of denatured alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) into the tank to disperse the water and form a homogenous solution of alcohol-water-gasoline which is readily combustible. if the hiccups have a regular pattern, then it might be your ignition or your fuel injectors if you have port injection type

My Sentra has a "skip beat"