New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    I read in the manual that API SE, SF, SG, and SH would work, but I'm curious as to what will happen if I tried using API SJ. Will it damage the car?

Also, is it true that using synthetic oil will damage the engine?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Aoshinomori View Post
    I read in the manual that API SE, SF, SG, and SH would work, but I'm curious as to what will happen if I tried using API SJ. Will it damage the car?

Also, is it true that using synthetic oil will damage the engine?
    Those are the ratings which were the highest available at the time your engine was made perhaps? No problem with going for the more modern SL, SM rated oils. Just stick to mineral and change every 5,000kms and you'll be fine. Our 1993 Sentra 1.4 is still running on it's original tensioners and timing chain with no noise whatsoever after 118,000kms. The oil has been changed every 5,000kms since it was brand new.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Those are the ratings which were the highest available at the time your engine was made perhaps? No problem with going for the more modern SL, SM rated oils. Just stick to mineral and change every 5,000kms and you'll be fine. Our 1993 Sentra 1.4 is still running on it's original tensioners and timing chain with no noise whatsoever after 118,000kms. The oil has been changed every 5,000kms since it was brand new.
    Thanks vinj, it's a great help!