New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i've got nothing against the author of the review, but Tessa Salazar's feature on the GU Patrol 3.0 A/T in the November 27, 2003 Inquirer is simply ridiculous and is astoundingly abysmal for a supposedly informed review and reviewer.

some snippets (taken verbatim):

"Handling was apt and much appreciated as soon as we negotiated the winding roads to Tagaytay. The pan hard, a lateral rod at the back of the vehicle, handles the sideward movement of the differential -- the reason for the good handling."

WHAAT??? jesus christ, it's a Panhard rod, not a "pan hard"! attributing "good handling" to the panhard rods is like saying BMWs handle well because of struts and nothing else. not necessarily true, and very misleading. kinda like a sales brochure eh?

"The engine is called ZD30DDTi with a max power of 155 horsepower over 3,600 revolutions per minute, a max torque of 354 Newton meters over 2,000 rpm.

We didn't feel the "pull" too much -- the transition from aceleration to turbo boost being not distinguishable. We were expecting the feel of an increase in torque. In this case, the pull was flat, from the start to the shiftpoint. We figured that either the turbo kicked in at a low rpm range (at perhaps 2,200), we couldn't notice it anymore."

i wonder what they're expecting from a turbodiesel if not a flat torque band...?? and i wonder at what rpm do they expect the turbo to spool up in a low-revving diesel? 4,000 rpm (haha)??? goodness, they acknowledged that the torque peak of the motor is at 2,000 rpm, why on earth can't they figure out that the turbo indeed "kicked in at a low rpm range"?

"We expected cat-like reflexes despite the body bulk because of the size of the engine and its turbo components. Maybe the 5-speed manual transmission would respond better."

hahahaaaa... this is insane! cat-like reflexes from a freaking 5,500-pound hardcore off-road SUV with 155 hp, 261 lb-ft, two rigid axles and a center of gravity right up there with a Boeing 747?? Land Cruisers have more power but have never been described as having "cat-like reflexes". maybe the Patrol would have cat-like reflexes if the cat being referred to is a century-old obese house cat...? hmmm... and funny, many have criticized the ZD30 for being a tad too small and lacking two cylinders for the Patrol.

and the clincher...

Anyway, the feel of this ride is that the entire differential is being dribbled.

well duuuuuuh, naturally, since the truck uses two rigid axles. hmm, i'd be very scared if the differentials of the Patrol i'm driving didn't move along with the wheels and axles.

goodness gracious!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bwahahaha! Expecting cat-like handling from a patrol! bwahahahah!!!

We should have a copy framed and laminated for posterity! :cheers:

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    have you watched one of their automotive columnists in auto focus? tv mekaniko yata yun where in they answer auto-related questions. i believe his from the inquirer..nakakatawa sya panoorin sobrang conscious sa camera..palaging nauutal at kala mo may kumikiliti sa pwit nya. hehehehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yan na nga ba sinasabi ko, mahilig sila magcompare ng rides from a sedan to a truck. Why don't they just maintain their opinions and write-ups on what they know best on sedans. And leave the SUV write up to mbt as the INQ's new columnist. I find their columns a bit off their lines when judging different types of vehicles. :D

Swerte ni Ms. Salazar, I did not catch her column or even the whole news paper that day.

OT: Pag pasyensyahan nyo na kung may wrong spelling, this wireless keyboard is driving me nuts!!! Some won't keys respond as soon as I type them. :mad:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    wait till you read aida sevilla-menadoza's column. walang pinagkaiba.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ahehehe!!! kaya pala nagdududa ako sa mga reviews nila before... mya nabasa ako sa kanila na yun intake outake mods daw will not have any effect sa horsepower ng sasakyan and will just create more noise na namimisinterpret daw as power pero sa personal experience ko naman ang laki talaga ng difference saka why do dealers sell these high performance aftermarket parts anyway kung wala talagang silbi.. nakakatawa din ang review nila sa mga SUVs. palagi nila kinocompare kahit magkakaiba ng categories or functionality. they expect a truck to perform like a car... but i never seen a car pull a load like a truck.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ewan ko ba sa mga diyaryong iyan. Nandyan naman si mbt para mag-review. Kumukuha pa ng kung sino sino. I don't even think those people like cars. They just treat it as a job.

When my brother's Sentra conquers Hi-Peak, then I'll expect the Patrol to ride like a car and have it's CAT-LIKE reflexes.

Mabuhay ka mbt. Thank God the motoring world has you.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and people wonder why SUVs roll over... hehe

otep,

naku ser masyado namang mataas tingin mo sa akin hehe

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mbt,

Sa tagal na nating magkasama dito sa Tsikot, malamang alam ko nang mas may talent ka kaysa diyan sa mga big-shot sa diyaryo na wala nang ginawa kundi kumain lang at mag-golf sa mga corporate events ng mga manufacturers.

AT SAWA NA KO SA MUKHA NI ARNEL DORIA! Pakisabi nga dun sa mataba na yun na hindi lang iisa ang empleyado ng Honda at hindi lang Honda ang gumagawa ng sasakyan sa Pilipinas! hahahaha.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Golf sa corporate events? Pinatatamaan mo din yata si Al Mendoza. :D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
idiotic "review" of GU Patrol c/o Inquirer