New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    [SIZE=2]Hello guys... I'm a newbie and it's my first attempt to own an SUV, brought about by a growing family (physiologically, that is!). I am considering a Nissan Patrol after feedback from a trusted mechanic that Patrol has the best suspension and engine, and after he effectively scared me of high maintenance cost in owning a Pajero.

I found an 03 Patrol that's really fresh. I was told its engine has been replaced with a totally new one, c/o Nissan North EDSA. Papers and clearances are in order. The reason for having a new engine installed, I was told, is because the previous one broke down after severe overheating. I am buying from a reputable, huge pre-owned car dealership in Pasig. Assuming all papers are in order and that according to my mechanic the engine and drivetrain are both ok, is this a good buy at 950k? 5-speed manual, 3.0L TDi engine, 4x2, misty blue, btw. Since I have a driver, I opted for manual versus automatic. My typical trips are along South Expressway, weekends in Baguio, Tagaytay, a occasionally photo treks to the Northern territories (Ilocos, etc.).

Will appreciate your tips, especially from Patrol owners. I tried reading all the posts and already found a lot of good ideas. I hope this is the best way to get good advice from auto experts in this forum.

Thanks in advance!

Noogy

[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Noogy; August 25th, 2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: incomplete first sentence

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think that's a good buy considering bago ang engine. pero baka matawaran mo pa ng onti, lets say 850-900k.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If you are really concerned about the fuel consumption, you wouldn't even consider a Nissan Patrol. Diesel or not, it's a big heavy vehicle and it will consume a lot of fuel to get anywhere.

At 950K, you are a lot of alternatives that is just slightly over P1M.

Examples:

Mitsu Outlander 4x2 * P1.2M
    Mitsu Montero Sport 4x2 A/T * P1.3M
    Nissan X-Trail 4x4 2.5L * P1.18M
    Toyota Fortuner 2.5 G AT Diesel 4x2 * P1.4M
    Ford Escape 2.3L 4x2 AT * P1.05M

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Expect an average of 7km/L with the Patrol. Have the engine checked with the CONSULT at the Nissan CASA, check for hard starting or any smoke problems under hard acceleration and power while climbing a steep incline. The Patrol is quite reliable although if you get a unit with problems to the turbo or any electronics, masakit sa ulo din (if the previous owner did not take care of the car).

At 950K it is on the pricey side for an '03 though. Other options for a 2nd hand would be the Pajero Field Master and Ford Everest. IMO, maintenance and parts are more or less the same just as long as you know how to shop around for parts and shops.

Upsize your tires also as the stock tires (not the rims) are small actually.

Try also checking with the Nissan Patrol owners on 4x4ph.com
    Last edited by vinj; August 25th, 2009 at 01:05 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Thanks to all your tips so far... what is a reasonable price for Patrol 03 then, around 850k? I saw an 01 model at 750k but wear and tear made me ignore it. 7km/L isn't that bad. Minus the cost of maintenance, that's the average cost of commuting from Laguna to Makati on a daily basis :-)

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Noogy View Post
    Thanks to all your tips so far... what is a reasonable price for Patrol 03 then, around 850k? I saw an 01 model at 750k but wear and tear made me ignore it. 7km/L isn't that bad. Minus the cost of maintenance, that's the average cost of commuting from Laguna to Makati on a daily basis :-)
    Yep 850K would be ok.Make sure you include in the transaction the transfer of ownership.And since its a Nissan Patrol, dalhin nyo sa TMG, have the car PHYSICALLY checked by them .Don't let the dealer get the clearance himself( pag sila kasi kumuha ng clearance usually non appearance na, eh pano kung cut and weld ang patrol?) Feel free to call me 2113119 if you have other queries.Thanks

7. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by downshift2 View Post
    Yep 850K would be ok.Make sure you include in the transaction the transfer of ownership.And since its a Nissan Patrol, dalhin nyo sa TMG, have the car PHYSICALLY checked by them .Don't let the dealer get the clearance himself( pag sila kasi kumuha ng clearance usually non appearance na, eh pano kung cut and weld ang patrol?) Feel free to call me 2113119 if you have other queries.Thanks
    this is a good idea, bring it to TMG before paying :-) thanks for your advice dude... i will definitely take you up on your offer to call for further questions... meanwhile i shall hunt for an 03 patrol within the 800-850k price range. thanks again!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Medyo mahal siya but then again, may new engine naman. We just got an '02 A/T unit which the owner claimed had a broken engine. Sold for less than Php900k.

Turns out it just needed a new MAF sensor and intercooler/turbo cleaning. Wohoo! :D

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Medyo mahal siya but then again, may new engine naman. We just got an '02 A/T unit which the owner claimed had a broken engine. Sold for less than Php900k.

Turns out it just needed a new MAF sensor and intercooler/turbo cleaning. Wohoo! :D
    that's so cool, that's one lucky buy! anyway, i'd consider myself lucky just by being able to buy a pre-owned patrol with a new engine. my mechanic said no wonder it's clean. we had the unit placed on a servitek hydraulic platform to inspect the suspension, etc. apart from some joints needing some grease, it's all systems go. yes fuel economy is not high in my priority list in getting this car. earnest money done. full payment next week.

if you got any other advice before i reach the point of no return, please do send it my way now! :-)
    Last edited by Noogy; August 27th, 2009 at 02:57 AM. Reason: incomplete last sentence

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Bro, the model that your getting is a GU patrol with a ZD30 engine. Try going to http://4x4ph.com/forum/index.php? you will get alot of help and advice.And ask around that site about early problems on the ZD30, I believe it was ironed out in the later models... I have an 89 Patrol (MK model) its very reliable and dependable, I was on a road trip the other day and a Hi-lux D4D couldnt keep up (no offense) [I was doing 135kph].