New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I just noticed this afternoon. It's an '02 Patrol GU A/T with an aftermarket 4x4 system from HPI (Hummer Philippines, Inc.) consisting of the shifter, manual AVM front hubs, front driveshaft and indicator relay.

I tried testing the system twice. Once with both hubs locked and once with both hubs unlocked. Also tried shifting in different A/T gears but as per manual, shifts should be done in neutral. Hand brake engaged, right foot on brake pedal.

Shifting from 2H to 4H and back is uneventful.

Shifting from 4H to N, N to 4L, and vice versa produces some very nasty grinding/meshing sounds and the transfer lever is very hesitant to go in. But when it does go in, there's a loud thud.

Once in, the grinding/meshing disappears and the vehicle is driveable...I also tried shifting it with the engine off and the A/T lever in Neutral. Not surprising, there were no grinding sounds.

Any ideas?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    No problem with ours. We used the OEM conversion.

Otep, fabricated kasi yung shifter ng HPI. It might not have the right angles as that of the OEM shifter thats why the throw is different.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Problem solved. After typing this, I drove straight to HPI's office. Never mind if I didn't know if they were open today, if it was flooded or if they closed at 5pm (they close at 6pm, btw). Hindi ko lang talaga natiis. Hehehe.

Culprit seems to be operator error [me!]

The person at HPI [Aaron] was helpful enough to demonstrate how to properly operate the HPI transfer lever. Apparently, with the HPI kit on an A/T Patrol, you cannot stop at the Neutral position of the transfer case. From 4H, its just one straight shift into 4L.

I don't know if it's the same case for HPI-equipped manual tranny Patrols or if it's also the same case [no stopping the shifter in the transfer case's Neutral] for OEM-4x4 equipped A/T Patrols.

At least I can sleep easy tonight. I don't think I will miss the Neutral position since GEN II and II.5 Pajero A/T's also do not have a neutral position in their transfer cases.

Thanks again to the people at HPI for being accomodating despite the bad weather. I was even taken for a spin in their 'chipped' Nissan Patrol showcar.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, dapat one fluid motion lang ang pag shift. No pausing at neutral otherwise may grinding sound. Its stated sa 4x4 operating instruction sticker on your windshield visor

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ex-4x2 yung unit. The 4x4 operating label, ako ang may gawa so it's not much help. hehehe.

Mukha lang orig kasi sa Speedsigns pina-layout and print. May picture pa ng shifter [scanned from the manual].

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    doc patrol na ride mo? WOW!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    I was even taken for a spin in their 'chipped' Nissan Patrol showcar.
    Driver pala yung kelangan ipa-ayos.

Kamusta performance difference?

On a sidenote, is there any aftermarket kit to improve the turning radius of the Patrol? Someone from the Nissan CASA said before a part could be cut or adjusted to decrease the turning radius...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    After reviewing the owner's manual, yes there is a section saying not to stop in the Neutral detent if you have an A/T unit.

Naka-bold print kaso SOBRANG LIIT kaya hindi ko napansin dati.

vinj,
    Performance, parang more on the top end ang improvement. The show Patrol is also heavier (ARB bull bars, giant bling rims, 35" tires, etc.).

You just adjust the steering stopper bolt to tighten the radius. Nissan Pasong Tamo did this from free during the manifold cleaning session. Before the adjustment, it was like driving the Queen Mary on land.

Kelan mo ba ko tuturan ng MAF cleaning? hehehe

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    So hindi pala pwede ilagay sa neutral ang transfer case pag naka A/T? Dati I usually put it to neutral kapag feeling ko hindi gaanong safe yung parking lot para hindi agad mapaandar ng would be carnapper.

OTEP, madali lang maglinis ng MAF sensor. Spray lang ng carburetor cleaner.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Boybi, pwede daw ilagay sa Neutral basta naka-off ang engine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
HELP: Nissan Patrol Transfer Shifter