New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Mga bro,
    I need ur advise/help. I recently bought a japan surplus 4x4 turbo diesel nissan terrano, with a TD27 engine, maybe 98 model. A week after i bought it, all of its ATF spilled out. Mechanics told me the oil seal poped out. After they replaced it, it ran for about 100 km then the same problem arose. Mechanics said better replace the automatic transmission assembly. D ba pwede irepair ito? Where can i find a surplus assembly na ok ang price? I'm cebu based. Many thanks for your help.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    why not ask the guys you bought the w/. maybe they can help... i hope this is not a case of poor conversion

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Spilled fluid from what area of the tranny?
    Could be a bad torque converter, front seal or the rear main seal. The hard parts of answering question about leak is being able to see where the leaks comes from and how it is fixed.

Why replacing the whole assembly? They can repair it, you just have to look the right shop to do it. Your mechanic just want an easy way out.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    thanks for your reply v6dreamer. It's coming from the transmission assembly area and it's the front oil seal, the one found inside the bell-looking casing that connects to the engine. Another clue of the problem might be the fact that before the oil spilled out, it took a second or so before the car moves forward when it is placed on drive. What could possibly cause the oil seal to pop out, pressure inside the casing?

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Oh boy! The front seal has clips that holds the seal for one thing, and another is the drain back hole is too small, that it create's too much preassure pushing the seal out kaya nag pop and blowing the all the fluid right pass to the seal. You must mention this to your mechanic concerning this problem. If they are good (mechanic) w/ a right tools they could drill out the return hole to a bigger size (compare the return hole in your original tranny) glue the seal in and hammer the retainer in place to help hold in it.

I dont know where the return hole is to be drilled out in order to relieve the pressure behind the seal, you or they must have to search the answer or perhaps they know if they are specialized in tranny. Im sorry I cannot help you this. I believe instructions on how to do this is comes with the rebuilt kit and in a shift kit.

Believe it or not (not the T.V series), but a bad throttle position sensor can also cause this problem. If the ECM thinks the throttle is push down more than it actually is, then it is a problem this will cause the a high preassure situation. Your mechanics must remember some throttle position must be calibrated upon installation.

You dont have too, but recommended...
    You know, I know, your mechanics know, we all know that wear on the torque converter hub may be too much, well some said, they said, I said and just dont know yet what you said that always replace torque converter if sign of aging is present. May cost additional hole in your pocket but its better than pull it back for a leak and extra grand not to mention another labor.

Lets go to double checking....
    Did you replace the seal around the pump housing?
    Does the torque converter have a pin hole in it?

Concluded......
    Too much pressure almost always will push the seal out of the housing before it will leaks where the spring loaded lips are on the seal.

Good luck....... Wheeeeew!!!

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    The mechanic placed devcon on the housing of the oilseal to keep it in place. So far, it worked. I observed though that the drive power reduced considerably. When you put it drive, it feels as if it bypasses the first gear and goes direct to the 2nd. You have to really step on the accelerator before it moves forward. Once the vehicle gains speed, it runs fine. Also, it finds difficulty in climbing. Do we have to change the transmission assembly? Also, am wondering why the radiator needs to be filled about half a liter of water EACH DAY. Wala naman tagas. Is it possible that the valves are broken? Pls help mga bro.

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    Smell your exhaust to see if it smells like anti-freeze
    It could be a head gasket. Park it on a level surface, leave it running for ten or fifteen minutes, then look and see where the leak is. Pop the hood, and you should see it leaking from that point.

Try to distribute the fluid evenly on the tranny by shifting your tranny into gear (idle only, do not drive away) like this.

1. Start engine.
    2. Step on clutch/brake
    3. shift gear to reverse...let stay there at least 30 sec., then shift to park 30 sec. also, then to drive/30 sec, then the first gear/30 sec, then the 2nd gear/30 sec. also and so forth.
    4. Do the same again, only in reverse procedure.
    5. Stop engine check fluid level.
    6. If safe, drive your car for at least 10 min. just enought to warm up the fluid (not hot). Park your car in a level surpace then check the fluid level again, add if nesessary. Do not overfill that tranny or you could damage more than the low level fluid and do step 1 to 5 again.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    have you considered converting it to m/t? my uncle had his subic terrano converted to m/t.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the idea rion. Siguro, I'd prefer it to stay in its original design. But where did your uncle have it converted and how much did it cost him? Is it working fine now? Don't really have an idea where to have that kind of job done here in cebu. Does any of you guys have an idea? I'd really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    3 years ago pa nya pina convert, I'm not sure how much the tranny and labor is, all I know is the terrano m/t is slightly expensive than a 4d56 m/t. though I barely see my uncle, I'll ask him when I have a chance.

why not drop by your surplus shops dyan? I bet maraming m/t dyan sa inyo.

help needed - 98 nissan terrano automatic transmission problem