New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Good day mga chiefs,

When I bought my sentra last year, "rainbow" headlight bulbs na ang nakakabit sa kanya. I really thought na malaking bagay yun since mas maliwanag sya sa stock bulbs. But lately; I couldn't help but notice na parang hindi rin sya ganun kaliwanag pala at parang ang iksi lang ng projection range nya. Pakiramdam ko nga minsan parang wala akong headlight kahit naka ON na sya. Hindi naman sobrang lowered ng auto ko so I doubt na yun ang dahilan.

I plan to replace it sana with something a lot better, preferably of course yung mas malakas at mas malayo yung projection range. Maybe "all weather type na bulbs"? yung parang white or parang rainbow din? also meron bang mga similar colored bulbs para sa fog-lamps para iisa lang kulay nila para mas cool tignan hehehe? What bulb types and brands would you recommend? May nakita ako sa autoshop "Philps" na supposedly plus 80% more brighter... totoo bato?

Also on another note, pag nag open ba kayo ng headlights nyo eh automatic pati yung fog lamps nyo bumubukas din gaya ng nae-experience ko sakin? diba dapat switch controlled lang yun?

As always your recommendations, insights and inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance mga chiefs

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    To start, any bulbs with tinted glass will be less bright than a standard bulb of the same wattage rating. Why? ... the tint absorbs part of the light to get the desired effect or color at the cost of LESS light projected to the road.

So buying yellow tinted, or those blue tinted "ultra-white" bulbs will just result in LESS light on the road even if they are rated at 55 or even 100 watts.

You are better off buying standard bulbs without any tint. They generally cost less. If you want brighter, you can upgrade your bulbs to higher wattage bulbs but make sure that your headlights and bulb sockets can take the heat.

You can have relays installed even on regular bulbs. They can make your lights brighter by shortening the distance electricity have to travel from the battery to reach the bulbs. Relays would be essential if you upgrade to higher wattage bulbs.

As for "fog lamps", generally they have their own switch. In my case, they will not turn on unless the "park-light" is switched. This ensures that the fog lamps will not be accidentally left on when parked resulting in a flat battery.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    To start, any bulbs with tinted glass will be less bright than a standard bulb of the same wattage rating. Why? ... the tint absorbs part of the light to get the desired effect or color at the cost of LESS light projected to the road.

So buying yellow tinted, or those blue tinted "ultra-white" bulbs will just result in LESS light on the road even if they are rated at 55 or even 100 watts.

You are better off buying standard bulbs without any tint. They generally cost less. If you want brighter, you can upgrade your bulbs to higher wattage bulbs but make sure that your headlights and bulb sockets can take the heat.

You can have relays installed even on regular bulbs. They can make your lights brighter by shortening the distance electricity have to travel from the battery to reach the bulbs. Relays would be essential if you upgrade to higher wattage bulbs.

As for "fog lamps", generally they have their own switch. In my case, they will not turn on unless the "park-light" is switched. This ensures that the fog lamps will not be accidentally left on when parked resulting in a flat battery.

Thank you very much for that very insightful input - chief Ghosthunter
    Actually, the "Philips" bulb they showed me yesterday did not have any color tint and was only plain transparent. This I believe will most probably generate either a "white" or "yellow" light, correct?

But as per your recommendations as well, it would also be possible for me to just add "relays" to my existing bulbs so they can project brighter lights?

Thanks again chief

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHead View Post
    Thank you very much for that very insightful input - chief Ghosthunter
    Actually, the "Philips" bulb they showed me yesterday did not have any color tint and was only plain transparent. This I believe will most probably generate either a "white" or "yellow" light, correct?
    color temp is measured in "kelvin" ... Regular halogens emit a color temp of around 4300 kelvins.

But as per your recommendations as well, it would also be possible for me to just add "relays" to my existing bulbs so they can project brighter lights?
    It will be brighter with relays, especially on older cars. But it won't make a 55watt bulb shine like a 85watt bulb.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    color temp is measured in "kelvin" ... Regular halogens emit a color temp of around 4300 kelvins.

It will be brighter with relays, especially on older cars. But it won't make a 55watt bulb shine like a 85watt bulb.

Thanks again for the input chief. I believe the ideal thing to do now is to just buy "all-weather bulbs" with a higher wattage and put them on relays.

Gastos na naman hehehe, thanks again chief

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    First before you replace your headlight bulb make sure that your headlight lense is clean . I see a lot of headlight lense now a days that are already blackish in color.
    Try to use Ostram NIGHTBREAKER or OSRAM silverstar i already tried bought headlight bulb and good also in heavy rain and night time use because of a little yellowish in color . And one thing it has a far projection range and plus 50% light on SILVERSTAR. and more on NIGHT BREAKER. Regarding on your fog light bulb if you want get the yellow color for a JDM effect .
    Osram have also fog light bulb . INQUIRE TO WARREN MOTOR SALES in MASANGKAY To have an idea regarding the price and what bulb to use on your car.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    First before you replace your headlight bulb make sure that your headlight lense is clean . I see a lot of headlight lense now a days that are already blackish in color.
    Try to use Ostram NIGHTBREAKER or OSRAM silverstar i already tried bought headlight bulb and good also in heavy rain and night time use because of a little yellowish in color . And one thing it has a far projection range and plus 50% light on SILVERSTAR. and more on NIGHT BREAKER. Regarding on your fog light bulb if you want get the yellow color for a JDM effect .
    Osram have also fog light bulb . INQUIRE TO WARREN MOTOR SALES in MASANGKAY To have an idea regarding the price and what bulb to use on your car.
    Thanks for the info chief. I'll certainly look up those OSRAM bulbs you mentioned. Can I ask where Masangkay is and where Warren Motors located?

Thank you again for your help chief

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Hmm OT: regular halogens have 4300K temp? Aren't OEM HID Xenon bulbs rated at 4300K too? From my observation my ZR Altis with OEM HID has higher color temp than my old AE101 with regular halogens. Or maybe I'm mistaken...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHead View Post
    Thanks for the info chief. I'll certainly look up those OSRAM bulbs you mentioned. Can I ask where Masangkay is and where Warren Motors located?

Thank you again for your help chief
    Warren motors is located in Masangkay St. Manila. Sa Binondo. Are you near this area?

If not, just buy from shops near your area. Might be a bit more expensive but you save time, gas money and effort.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Osram silverstar is good, stock bulb sya color yellow buga and more visible than white na buga..meron sa Banawe dealer mismo ng Osram, syempre mas mas mura at cgurado ang quality.. actually nakabit ko na yung binili ko na osram bulbs kaso sa driver side di ko pa makabit, nakaharang kasi yung PSF reservoir, sabi dito at sa manual hilahin ko lang pataas yung reservoir kaso di ko magawa ang hirap hilahin nakakatakot baka matangal yung hose.. balak ko dalhin na lang sa auto shop para sure tapos bigay nalang tip mga 20 pesos cguro! hehe.. kaya tuloy ngaun yung driver side ko white ang buga tapos yung isa yellow!.. pakakabit ko nga din yung OEM type na foglamps na binili ko eh, bumili na din me ng bulbs H3 para dun, naghahanap kung san maganda pakabit, e bubutasin yung bumper eh!.. tapos sabay ko na din yung mesh grille para ayaos porma!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast