New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hi guys,

My car is nissan cefiro elite 2000 model.

Since I had my both front wheel bearings, cv rubber boots, and brake pads replaced, I have this griding, squeaking and knocking (or I should say bone-breaking) noise when braking at slow speed.

I took the car back to the shop several times. They regreased the connecting area of brake pads to the caliper, replaced stabilizer links and some bushing on lower control arms but no luck. This shop couldn't find the solution to this.

I think that they messed up something while replacing the said parts.

It drives me crazy. Any one knows this problem? I'm thinking of replacing the lower control arms. Will this help?

Any one also knows reliable auto shop in ortigas area?

(Casa may be the best solution but they asked way too much on this problem. Nissan casa said they have to replace stablizer and lower control arms all together to see if it help. and this will cost me more than 30k which I can't afford)

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    What brand of brake pads did you use?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by emms1121 View Post
    What brand of brake pads did you use?
    I'm not sure, they just told me its third party brand.

Actually the noise started from right side first, then I told the mechanic to swap left and right pads. then now the noise is from both sides. darn it!

Does the brand of pads really matter?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Yes sir. Yung mga Type R na imitation at sometimes bendix brake pads will produce irritating noise kahit na bago pa sya. Sinubukan ko na rin ipaliha at nawawala naman. Pero after 3 days bumabalik din yung squeaking sound. Kaya sa brake pads I prefer na bumili ng original from the CASA at ipina pakabit ko na lang sa labas. Anyway, yung na share ko is only based on my experience. And one more thing, I think hindi pwede pag palitin brake pads. Merong left and right orientation yan ( car guru correct me if i'm wrong ).

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Yes sir. Yung mga Type R na imitation at sometimes bendix brake pads will produce irritating noise kahit na bago pa sya. Sinubukan ko na rin ipaliha at nawawala naman. Pero after 3 days bumabalik din yung squeaking sound. Kaya sa brake pads I prefer na bumili ng original from the CASA at ipina pakabit ko na lang sa labas. Anyway, yung na share ko is only based on my experience. And one more thing, I think hindi pwede pag palitin brake pads. Merong left and right orientation yan ( car guru correct me if i'm wrong ).
    Thank you very much, emms1121.

One more question, did you also had this bone-breaking sound besides the squeaking? (it sounds like random tok tok sound)

You think I should first change the existing pads with original parts?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    is it possible the wheel bearings were improperly installed?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is it possible the wheel bearings were improperly installed?
    the noise from the bearing installed incorrectly is different right?

it's more like woo woo woo rather than squeaking/grinding/tok tok.

Any other opinions?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    The squeaking sound I'm sure is coming from the brake pads. Tok-tok sound pwedeng maraming panggalingan. Pwede sa cv joints meron pang hindi napalitan na parts, I'm just not sure.
    If you can live with the squeking sound, functional pa naman preno mo kahit di ka muna magpalit.
    Anyway, saang shop ka ba nagpagawa sir? Advise ko go to a shop with a good track record and specialize in suspension. Madami recommended dito sa tsikot like speedyfix in Shaw.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    The squeaking sound,it's from brake pads..
    Ganyan din problem ko now..bago pa naman brake pads ko..napaliha ko na pero bumabalik din yung sound..Bendix pa naman brake pad na iyon..Masyado daw matigas ang bendix kaya ganun..

At tama, kapag yung tok tok tok sound kapag liliko ka ang problem doon ay constant velocity joint (cv joint)
    Pero minsan pwede ring dahil sa brake pad pa rin.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The squeaking sound I'm sure is coming from the brake pads. Tok-tok sound pwedeng maraming panggalingan. Pwede sa cv joints meron pang hindi napalitan na parts, I'm just not sure.
    If you can live with the squeking sound, functional pa naman preno mo kahit di ka muna magpalit.
    Anyway, saang shop ka ba nagpagawa sir? Advise ko go to a shop with a good track record and specialize in suspension. Madami recommended dito sa tsikot like speedyfix in Shaw.
    Thank you, I will try replacing the pads with original parts first at speedy fix.

hope the tok tok noise will go away with this. by the way, I don't have this tok tok noise when turning, so I don't assume it's from cv joints.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Grinding, sqeaking, and knocking noise when braking