New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Good Day!

I was adjusting my vehicle's timing because I'm hearing "ticking" sounds during acceleration and I plan to retard the timing a bit to somehow reduce the "ticking" sound.

The car is B14 Series 3 GA16DNE.

I followed the procedure in timing adjustment.

1st: Warm-up engine
    2nd: Rev engine at 2,000rpm for 2 mins then rev engine 2-3 times (2,000-3,000rpm) under no load, then idle for 1 minute.
    3rd: Turn off engine, disconnect throttle position sensor (TPS) then start engine. Rev engine 2-3 times (2,000-3,000rpm) then run engine at idle speed.

at this point the engine dies after idling for about 10 seconds.

I don't know what caused this phenomenon. I've done adjusting and checking the timing and removing the TPS several times and the engine doesn't die. I was wondering what caused this.

Please Help! Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Had the same problem after I had my TB cleaned. The car ran fine for a couple of weeks but when I noticed that the car's idle is very very low (600 RPM w/ aircon). Did the proper procedures in setting the base idle and then when I pulled the TPS after 5 seconds the engine stalled. I found out that the idle screw was set to very low (sagad). Made some minor adjustment and now the car is running fine again.One thing that bugs me is that the idle screw is fcuked up and it's almost round. Sourcing in Banawe is quite hard as they do not have stocks.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Thanks sir!

I will try to adjust the idle screw first then start the engine with the TPS disconnected.

I hope this will solve this simple mystery.

Cheers!

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Just to add, after the procedure I did my fuel pump died so I have to replace it :D

Engine Dies After Removing TPS