New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Here are some feedbacks on the short drive that I did recently on the Nissan Leaf during the Nissan Electric Tour. Ill follow this up later with more pics and info on the event. Last, please vote for me. Grand prize is a Nissan Leaf. Details provided below.

The Electric Tour was well done and organized. All scheduled drivers including myself were put in groups and were taken to different booths on everything about the Nissan Leaf (to be posted later). After a few speeches, and demos, drivers were directed to the test drive area. I was pleased that there were at least 6 "leaves" available so there was no line for the test drive. i was assigned to a black colored unit. Getting in and out of the leaf is pretty good. Not too high, not too low. The dash and center display immediately got my attention with all the modern display and and disc shaped shifter. the nissan rep asked me to go ahead and make any adjustments. The rep then asked me to step on the brake then push the button to start. I don’t remember hearing any sound except the boot up theme. From here I learned to hold the disc, then move left then down to “D.” While we were exiting the event lot, I noticed the very touchy brakes, which I confirmed to be regenerative braking. By the time we got out of the lot, I already notice how smooth and quiet the Leaf is. I tried to accelerate moderately and felt the instant torque right away. This was the only time I heard a faint whine of the electric engine or maybe the cvt(?) tranny. Also, steering is tight and very responsive. Ive never driven a hybrid, but the leaf did not feel disconnected to the road like hybrids that I read. Halfway into the drive I asked the rep if we can go on Eco Mode and learned that another “left and down” on the disc will enable it. Right away, the acceleration is sluggish and I end up pressing the pedal harder than usual. It felt like the leaf is running at half its capability, all to save power and extend the driving range. I can see this mode perfect for a residential area and/or around schools. The drive was very short which I jokingly complained to the rep. It ended too soon.

Nissan offered a contest as part of the test drive. I made a video entry and would like to ask for your vote. Voting requires an email address and clicking through the link that will be sent to you. This is a long shot, but ill give it a try since the prize is a nissan leaf. Thank you in advanced.

Here’s the link: https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/...b=45qhgyjr7egu

Next, Nissan's electric vehicle history charts and more info.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    here's the battery pack upclose on the first part of the tour:

placement is almost centered as far as i remembered. according to the rep, the packs are individually replaceable instead of the entire thing in case of any issues. the rep also added that the other battery for the most parts powers the accessories. questions were raised regarding replacement costs and "what if i ran out of power?" the rep's response was standard and expected, cost unknown but should cost less after some years, nissan offers 8 yr/ 100k miles on the battery, 3 yr roadside assistance, etc. i cant believe someone asked if the next model is better already .

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    posted around the same booth are posters of nissans electric vehicle history:

again, the contest for a nissan leaf is still on. please vote for me by entering your email address and confirming the link that will be sent to you. thanks again. here's the link:

https://www.drivenissanleaf.com/Win/...b=45qhgyjr7egu

thanks in advanced. next, few more pics and info on the tour.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Voted for u good luck.

sayang sana i-benta din ng Nissan sa Pinas 'yang Leaf

with the same price (after Govt. tax breaks) around U$25K (Php1.125M) i'd buy it in a heart-beat....

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    thanks for the vote, including the ones coming soon!

i still have some pics and info to post next time. i do recall a question about the leaf sitting in gridlock and the fear of running out of battery. the nissan rep responded that if it sits in traffic, it is using virtually no power so there should not be a problem.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    here's a few more shots from the tour:

sound comparison. if i recall correctly, the leaf will generate a sound under 20mph for nearby pedestrians though i was informed that the ones we drove did not have it yet.

tailpipe emission comparison

i have a few days left to get votes to win a nissan leaf. feel free again to share and/or vote for me. links are posted on my previous posts. thanks again.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Voted for your, Michael! With two awesome reasons, hope you win!

I really wish the Leaf becomes available in Pinas in the future.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    thanks again!

it looks like other makes are rushing to get their electric vehicles out by next year. if it all works out and prices get better, im sure the possibility of making it there will be closer to reality.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Kelan kaya to lalabas dito sa pinas? Sana wag na pigilan ng kung sino2.. At i-promote sana ng government, ibaba ang price like in the US.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ome_jr View Post
    Kelan kaya to lalabas dito sa pinas? Sana wag na pigilan ng kung sino2.. At i-promote sana ng government, ibaba ang price like in the US.
    Unlikely. Pinoys are not fond of economic vehicles such as the Leaf, one evidence would be the number of owners who bought the Prius which is available locally & the Hybrid camry which is available for purchase at some grey market dealers. Possibly, the price will also be a tad higher than our local fuel-fed econo-cars ( Vios. Yaris. etc. ) - and that obviously will steer away any prospective buyers of the said vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
2011 Nissan Leaf Tour and Short Drive