New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Hi Everyone!

I am about to buy my first car. Just want to hear feedbacks from those who had experienced or experiencing with this model. Is it a better choice compared to vios and city? Would appreciate your feedback before I sign on the conforme. Many thanks to all!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    vios po, sir. welcome sa tsikot!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie23 View Post
    Hi Everyone!

I am about to buy my first car. Just want to hear feedbacks from those who had experienced or experiencing with this model. Is it a better choice compared to vios and city? Would appreciate your feedback before I sign on the conforme. Many thanks to all!
    Its a good car. Both my brother and brother in law has one each (both colored black) and they are pretty satisfied with the car. The downside is its not particularly quick so anyone who is used to a more powerful car will find it sluggish. Driving it smoothly gives respectable fuel economy.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    compared to the vios and the city, i think the interiors are bigger.
    a bit underpowered, kasi the body is big but the engine is small.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    i had a '05 model.. no problem so far

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Wife and I have had the GX for two years now and still quite happy with it. It's a compact car (same body as the GS and GSX) but with the engine of a subcompact (1.3).

I guess it depends on your priorities. Being a bit old-fashioned, we prefered the look of the compact sedan over a subcompact and were willing to sacrifice some economy and more practical use of space. As a first and only-car, we felt it just looked "better", while the subcompacts are starting to look like small mini-vans with smaller frontsides and backsides--too practical (we'll get a subcompact as a second car--likely Vios).

In exchange for the look that matched our taste, the Sentra body felt really heavy for the small QG13 engine--specially when climbing. I think the A/T is also not specifically matched to the engine and body. It also shows in the fuel economy 8-9km/L compared to 12-14km with the subcompacts. Aircon is excellent but probably add load to the small engine too. Like most Nissans it uses timing chain reducing risk of damage but again might be adding load.

We also considered the Toyota Vios. Back then, we had to go 1.5 with the Vios to get A/T which threw us off our budget, but the Toyota fit and finish seemed significantly better. For now, we skipped the City because we don't see too many old Hondas still running today. Maybe it's because Toyotas and Nissans--even Mitsu Lancers--are easy to maintain with spare parts readily available. You still see lots of Nissan B13 ('91-94) and Toyota E100 ('91-95) running around--even serving as Taxis. I don't see too many Honda EG ('92-95) even if these beauties outsold other brands during its time (but not allowed as Taxis).

I recommend the GX if you want the look of old-fashioned compact sedan plus willing to forego some benefits of the subcompact in terms of fuel economy and space. Btw, the Sentra cabin space isn't bigger than the Vios/City since it sits on an old platform (short wheelbase)... all that extra size is in the trunk and front overhang. But if I follow my more practical side, I'd get the Vios or maybe the new City.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    First of all I would like to thank you all who spent time to reply to my inquiry. Thank you very much for your efforts. Second, I would like to thank you all for accomodating me here in your group. :clap1: I have some follow up questions:
    1. Does fuel consumption depends on the transmission of the engine? Say 1.3 M/T compared to 1.3 A/T?
    2. Does Nissan Sentra parts more expensive than Toyota Vios?
    3. What will be the great reason for me to choose Nissan Sentra over Vios and City?

Many many thanks to each everyone of you!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rookie23 View Post
    First of all I would like to thank you all who spent time to reply to my inquiry. Thank you very much for your efforts. Second, I would like to thank you all for accomodating me here in your group. :clap1: I have some follow up questions:
    1. Does fuel consumption depends on the transmission of the engine? Say 1.3 M/T compared to 1.3 A/T?
    2. Does Nissan Sentra parts more expensive than Toyota Vios?
    3. What will be the great reason for me to choose Nissan Sentra over Vios and City?

Many many thanks to each everyone of you!
    1. M/T vs A/T
    M/T tranny will help increase fuel economy while A/T will help driving convenience especially in more congested parts of the metro. If you driving mostly in good flowing traffic, you might want to choose M/T but having the convenience of A/T is still hard to beat. Just make sure you aren't that big of a hurry.

2. Parts cost Sentra vs Vios
    Not really that big a difference. Just avoid buying from the casa once the warranty is done to minimize headache of overpriced parts.

3. Great reason choosing sentra over vios
    Well, better ride comfort. Also the image of driving a Sentra over a smaller car like the Vios. A Vios will always be a small car but a Sentra can act like a bigger car even if you have a smallish motor under the hood.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    in case you haven't done so, you may want to read this thread, http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52389,

it has about 200 posts about the Sentra. mine is an M/T. with almost 6K on the ODO, FC is currently at 11-12kpl (without spirited driving) which is very impressive for me coming from a Mitsu Galant (Shark) which gurgles 5-6 kpl only.

considering your options, the Sentra is still the least expensive based on their base models. I personally am not impressed with the interiors of both the Vios and City. Exterior depends on your taste. I prefer the classic look of the Sentra, but between the City and the Vios, 09 City gets my vote.

If your into resale value, City should be the way to go. Followed by the Vios, lastly the Sentra. My Sentra is my very first, all-personal-money-bought car, so I have no plans of selling it, hence resale value was never considered as my prereqs qhen i bought mine 6mos ago. Though, the resale value of the City/Vios are still off-set by the higher purchase price of today, so, it's still an even ballgame if you ask me ;)

good luck with your decision, but if there's one thing i can recommend that you do, invest a lot of time test driving the 3 cars. I made my decision after driving my sentra, even though my heart was very undecided between a 08 Sentra, 07 model Lancer and a 08 Vios. SAs are always helpful when it comes to arranging testdrives. just make sure to test drive the model you're eyeing on so as not to disappoint you with the interior set-ups if they ask you to drive the top of the line, and you're going to get base model (almost happened to me.. hehehe)
    Last edited by badbadtz.carlo; March 16th, 2009 at 12:17 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    hi pipol i just bought a new 1.3 GX A/T. My car is color black do u have any suggestions on how can i take good care of it to avoid the scratches which were found out when I had my PMS for the first 1000 Kms. Hope you could help me! thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
2009 Nissan Sentra 1.3 GX (A/T)