New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman06 View Post
    one word: MOBILITY. Eto naman yung selling point ng scooters eh. Almost the same reason why bikes are on the road, as well as e-bikes.

1) I suggest you read muna about scooters. Some scooters that can go long distance only weight 20kg, and can be easily folded and carried. The big scoots yes pwede iwan sa parking, which isnt any different from the bikes na iniiwan sa parking, which negates the "you can't easily carry them around so you have to leave them in the parking area."

2) I do admit na small wheels and scooters, which is its main disadvantage kasi ramdam mo yung lubak and all the road imperfections. But many good scooters have really good suspension, so yung maliit na gulong nalang ang problema. As for the "high center of gravity", don't bikes also have high centers of gravity? Bikes are also unstable and it would cause more injury as your hips ride higher on a bike than on a scooter, which means you fall from a higher height.

3) Cant do off-road: true, but why would you even think of doing off road on a scooter?? ::

Can't hop on curbs: Again, why would you want to hop on curbs? Motorcycles cant hop on curbs easily, and bikes also cant hop on curbs, unless gagawin mo to sa trail or sa area na walang traffic. Only a man not in his right mind would think of doing this.
    Cant roll over many obstacles: Potholes? Humps? Kahit naman ata kotse di mo sasadyain i-roll over sa obstacles unless di talaga maiiwasan di po ba? )

Cant go through small puddles of water: For some small scooters, hazard ang small puddles if malalim. ground clearance is around 20mm lang, so deep puddles will cause damage sa electrical system. But, a solution would be to waterproof the scoot using sealant, and you're good to go!

And para sa "bumili ka nalang ng gas scoot", what's the point kung kokontrahin mo lang din yung pagbili mo dahil lang sa points raised sa number 3? ::

I do admit maraming limitations ang scooter, especially in the rain. But if it gets me from point A to B then it does it's job. The closes comparison to this would be a bike on the road. Same safety principles apply, same slim profile, same "high center of gravity". Only difference is one is human-powered while the other is mechanical powered. Think about it, why are we so against scooters pero pag bikes okay lang? ::

coz bikes are far superior. eh kasi you're having an emotional response to EKS and i'm looking at it logically. we all know logic wins everytime

tapos you have so many misconceptions about bikes. manood ka kasi ng red bull downhill, then you'll see what bikes are capable of. maganda ang center-of-gravity ng bikes, you can go through almost any obstacle. kaya nga inimbento yung 29er wheel. big wheels can roll over anything. hindi ka kasi biker...

basta my point is that if your big EKS is so heavy that you can't even lift it to stash in your trunk then WTH is the point? just get a powerful electric bicycle like the one i have. it's just far superior. all caps pa yung MOBILITY mo. my bike gives you more MOBILITY, more comfort, more stability, more safety, rolls over most obstacles including rivers and floods. tapos 100% legal pa, coz it's just a bicycle (EKS is in a gray area)

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I'm sure responsible scooter owners will pay for the damages incurred during an accident if proven na sila mali, and vice versa for car owners.
    --- I agree... just like the motorcycle and bicycle riders we have right now.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    As a cyclist and mobility advocate, I don't see the point in taking a side and not having any love for the other choices out there. It isn't a religion. You don't have to choose one and be a d!ck about the others.

For me, it's basically horses for courses.

On major roads like EDSA, C-5, Quezon Avenue, Taft Avenue, Alabang-Zapote, Mindanao Avenue, etc, e-bikes, bicycles, e-scoots, skateboards, e-wheelchairs, etc, should NOT be allowed. If the vehicle's cruising speed is under 30 kph, it shouldn't be on major roads, period, full stop.

Similarly, you also need to pick and choose the best mobility vehicle for you for the streets you'll be traveling at. For instance, you won't need a downhill enduro bike with 170mm of suspension if you're just going around Quezon City or Mandaluyong. In the same vein, using an EKS along the deeply rutted streets near the Manila Piers might not be a good idea either.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    coz bikes are far superior. eh kasi you're having an emotional response to EKS and i'm looking at it logically. we all know logic wins everytime

tapos you have so many misconceptions about bikes. manood ka kasi ng red bull downhill, then you'll see what bikes are capable of. maganda ang center-of-gravity ng bikes, you can go through almost any obstacle. kaya nga inimbento yung 29er wheel. big wheels can roll over anything. hindi ka kasi biker...

basta my point is that if your big EKS is so heavy that you can't even lift it to stash in your trunk then WTH is the point? just get a powerful electric bicycle like the one i have. it's just far superior. all caps pa yung MOBILITY mo. my bike gives you more MOBILITY, more comfort, more stability, more safety, rolls over most obstacles including rivers and floods. tapos 100% legal pa, coz it's just a bicycle (EKS is in a gray area)
    My points were all logical sir, baka naman kayo yung "emotional" which is why you thought that way

That aside, ang point ko lang kasi is the reason why we chose scooters is because of mobility. Even if it is heavy, it still much more practical for long distances than bikes. I agree may upsides ang bikes, such as downhill. Pero ang usapan naman is using scoots during traffic. Di naman po tayo mag ddownhill pag traffic Nor bubuhatin ang scooter pag traffic.

And besides, users who use the scooter as their main mode of transport dont need to stash it in their trunk, kasi wala naman silang dalang car in the first place. and if this is your argument, eh di it also negates yung point mo about using e-bikes an bikes in general kasi it cant be stashed sa trunk

Im not arguing against your e-bike, that's your experience. But I invite you to experience a scooter too for long distances and judge thereafter, not from presumptions and what you read online. Hindi ka kasi scooter user...

I may not be a pro biker, but I rode trails sa Tanay area. I also biked to Southern Luzon, although not that frequent. Pero kung ibibike ko ang Marikina-Makati during weekdays, aba'y tagaktak na po ang pawis ko wala pang 6 kilometers byahe ko. Di naman po ito presentable pagdating sa opisina na walang shower room, di po ba?

FYI. EKS are included in elecric vehicles, along with bikes. Nasa memo po ng LTFRB.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    As a cyclist and mobility advocate, I don't see the point in taking a side and not having any love for the other choices out there. It isn't a religion. You don't have to choose one and be a d!ck about the others.

On major roads like EDSA, C-5, Quezon Avenue, Taft Avenue, Alabang-Zapote, Mindanao Avenue, etc, e-bikes, bicycles, e-scoots, skateboards, e-wheelchairs, etc, should NOT be allowed. If the vehicle's cruising speed is under 30 kph, it shouldn't be on major roads, period, full stop.

Similarly, you also need to pick and choose the best mobility vehicle for you for the streets you'll be traveling at. For instance, you won't need a downhill enduro bike with 170mm of suspension if you're just going around Quezon City or Mandaluyong. In the same vein, using an EKS along the deeply rutted streets near the Manila Piers might not be a good idea either.
    EXACTLY. You do your own, we do ours. Just that simple. At the end of the day, what's important is everyone gets home safely and follows road rules and etiquette.

Hate it or love it, people need to be open about other modes of transportation. Manila streets are built for cars, which isnt the most ideal thing to do if you are to encourage people to seek out other modes of transportation.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    --- I agree... just like the motorcycle and bicycle riders we have right now.
    then that's an issue with the drive and not the mode of transport

Pero as a car user, I do agree. Nasa pagiging responsable lang naman yan. Kahit naman alisin mo yung motor sa irresponsableng driver and ilagay mo sa kotse, irresponsableng driver parin siya.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post

nope that's not true w/ electric. i just went to the 7-eleven on a bike w/ 200mm front travel, 220mm rear. weight isn't an issue coz it's electric. it's just more plush to deal w/ the subdivision humps

i'm actually an electric vehicle geek. so i'm OK w/ EKS'es especially the lightweight ones. but the bigger ones if people like them then they could just admit that they like them for no good reason. it's just annoying when people pretend that the big-EKS'es make any sort of logical sense when they can't give one good reason why they're better than electric bicycles

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Even if it is heavy, it still much more practical for long distances than bikes.

ok so standing for long distances is better huh

*shakes head*

i don't have anything else to say

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    4:30-8am = 3.5 hours traffic

I'm thinking that should be a morning Fairview to Ayala morning...

As per Waze right now is a 1 hour 30 mins drive (29kms) - I normally add 45 mins to my ETA... (2 hours 15 mins)

I've read somewhere that Angkas will get you there at 1/3rd the required time...

So if we say Motorbikes = Electric Scooters...

45 mins standing up...
    29 kms on an electric scooter...

10. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    4:30-8am = 3.5 hours traffic

I'm thinking that should be a morning Fairview to Ayala morning...

As per Waze right now is a 1 hour 30 mins drive (29kms) - I normally add 45 mins to my ETA... (2 hours 15 mins)

I've read somewhere that Angkas will get you there at 1/3rd the required time...

So if we say Motorbikes = Electric Scooters...

45 mins standing up...
    29 kms on an electric scooter...

sabihin na nating 1hr...

that's 1hr standing up, knees bent trying to absorb the bumps. lots of body language needed to keep yourself balanced. you get battered for 29km because of all that shock and vibration from the small wheels. haggard ka na pagdating sa office

but on an e-bicycle you're comfortably seated. large bicycle wheels, tubeless, low-pressure. rockshox or fox suspension. you don't even have to slow down on humps and potholes

it's obvious which is the better alternative commuting vehicle

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast