New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Check out this video about military diesel motorcycles: ‪Combat Motorcycles‬‏ - YouTube

Actually, I'm considering do adapt one of those Chinese stationary V-Twin diesel engines into a Harley-Davidson frame...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Are we thinking of the same engine? 800cc, 29 hp, about 85-100 kg dry weight?

I was thinking of that engine, too, but the suppliers I'm looking at need a minimum purchase guarantee of 10 units.

-

Most diesel cycles use Chinese Yanmar clones... much simpler in layout and easy to adapt... except for the transmission...

I don't know if you'll be able to find a non-CVT transmission that will fit the diesel properly... possibly you will need a manual transmission with a custom rear cog... or maybe mix and match with a rear cog for another engine.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Same engine. Wouldn't be so hard to bolt to a Harley-Davidson gearbox because it's not incorporated to the crankcase like an average Japanese motorcycle.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Same engine. Wouldn't be so hard to bolt to a Harley-Davidson gearbox because it's not incorporated to the crankcase like an average Japanese motorcycle.
    And where you going to source a H-D tranny in southeast asia? Wouldn't ordering the H-D tranny from the USA just kill the project based on cost alone.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually... I was wrong... 58 kg dry weight... which a Harley-type frame is more than capable of supporting.

Intriguing thing is that some package these engines with ATV transmissions... which means you might be able to adapt them to a shaft-drive bike (though the shaft is in the wrong place).

One engine I'm really interested in is the Kipor KM2V80... claimed hp isn't as high as others... but of course, that's claimed... not actual... the big difference is this is available in water-cooled form, which should prove much more reliable in the long run... errh... possibly. I was looking at this with the vague idea that it would be possible to install one on a three-wheel delivery bike with that live-rear axle or in something like a Suzuki Carry based owner-type or car... but then, there are Suzuki diesels available secondhand, anyway...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    :office:

(Niky just killed his own bright idea.) hehehe

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Heh... the problem is... a secondhand engine is a secondhand engine... and the supply of those Suzuki diesels is small.

The Kipor is interesting... service intervals are in hours (about 200 for oil and filter) because this is meant to be stationary... but based on estimates of km/h in traffic, and then deducting due to the fact that varying speeds will cause additional load/stress... they still pan out to 3,000 - 6,000 kilometers... just as in road-going diesels.

All you need is the basic package... a transmission to mate it to... an accelerator pedal/grip and a transmission to bolt it to.

Though, with just 19+ hp, it should be a small transmission... and a very small vehicle...

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    And where you going to source a H-D tranny in southeast asia? Wouldn't ordering the H-D tranny from the USA just kill the project based on cost alone.
    I'm actually not in Asia. Anyway, there are other options as far as transmission goes. Even a transmission out of an average bantam with some mods could be used.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

I was thinking of that engine, too, but the suppliers I'm looking at need a minimum purchase guarantee of 10 units.

-

Most diesel cycles use Chinese Yanmar clones... much simpler in layout and easy to adapt... except for the transmission...

I don't know if you'll be able to find a non-CVT transmission that will fit the diesel properly... possibly you will need a manual transmission with a custom rear cog... or maybe mix and match with a rear cog for another engine.
    Yanmar, first comes to my mind is kuliglig and bangka..hehehehe hehehehhe.....
    I thought they are just for generator engines.

I'm currently living in Brazil, where kuligligs are easier to see in some southern rural areas. I have even seen some 4WD kuligligs...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Diesel motorcycles?